Market Risk Analyst
The bank for a changing world. With strong roots anchored in Europe’s banking history, BNP Paribas supports its clients and employees in today’s changing world and has positioned itself as a leading bank in the Eurozone and a prominent international banking institution.
BNP Paribas has been recognized as the 2019 World’s Best Bank for Corporate Responsibility by Euromoney magazine. This reflects our commitment to financing the economy in an ethical manner, developing and engaging our people, being an agent for positive impact on society and for combating climate change. BNP Paribas contributes to the real economy by providing solutions to a wide range of clients: individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps them realise their personal and professional projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and insurance.
BNPP has a significant presence in the UK with a 150-year history. Whilst recognised as a leading European bank, BNP Paribas in fact operates in 72 worldwide countries with around 200,000 employees. With such a diverse set of banking coverage (ranging from asset management insurance, retail banking, personal finance, vehicle leasing to investment banking) the career opportunities within BNPP are vast, international and attract a diverse staff base.
Business Area/Dept Overview
The RISK department aims at being a partner of the businesses by contributing to their sustainable development, but also a gatekeeper to ensure risks taken remain compatible with the Group’s Risk Appetite and its strategy. RISK teams engage in an upstream dialogue with the business to better understand their strategy, objectives, deal and then RISK expresses its opinion and recommendations. The RISK function is independent, reporting directly to the CEO and Group Board.
Our risk management function (“RISK”) is recognised in the industry as being first tier.
Our main missions are to:
• Advise the Bank on risk appetite definition; credit risk, counterparty risk, market risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, cyber risk and other potential risks.
• Contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies through analysis, valuation and documentation.
• Report and alert bank management of the status of risks to which the bank is exposed.
RISK is a good place to work because of the breadth of opportunities. With over 5000 employees worldwide and reflecting the overall BNPP group culture, RISK benefits from and encourages a diverse staff base with many different nationalities, cultures, levels of experience and academic backgrounds.
Our staff well-being is an integral part of the “people care” values within our group and this is reflected in our award-winning flexible benefits package, flexible working environment and support for people’s health and well-being (https://www.standardlifepensions.com/wellbeing//health-and-wellbeing/mental-health.page). The culture fosters career longevity and internal mobility, while equally supporting new graduates and talents. Due to the varied mix of experience, fresh talents benefit from learning from long standing staff who are always happy to share and teach their extensive experience and wide breadth of knowledge.
Highly comprehensive internal training courses and programmes targeted at developing talents at all levels complement the training on the job.
RISK employees also connect through strong employee networks (Multicultural, LGBT, Gender Balance, Disability, Diversity and Inclusion, Early Career, Parents and Carers), social committees, sports and mentorships.
To find out more about why you should join BNP Paribas please visit our website or try some of the links below:
Purpose & Scope of role
• Purpose: Analysis and monitoring of market risks
• Scope: Prime solutions and Financing trading desks
Key Responsibilities of role
The responsibilities of the Market Risk Analyst are:
• Analysis and monitoring of market risk of GM PS&F GBL, dedicated to all financing activities (G10 Repo, Credit Repo, Long Term Structured repo, Prime Brokerage) . In particular:
o Perform PS&F market risk monitoring and review tasks In coordination with RISK GM MRT and RISK GM QT
o Review and approval, from market risk point of view, of those transactions which are outside the scope of TSF.
o Define appropriate risk representation of market risk exposures in Risk systems (shared responsibility with RS).
• Analysis & monitoring of Economic and Regulatory Measures linked to Market Risk
• Understanding of Market parameters impacting the P&L , the risk and capital measures impacting the book
• Ensure the fair and prudent valuation of all the trading books.
The Market risk Analyst will interact with Traders and Sales teams, Risk teams (Transactions Securitisation and Frameworks, Risk Corporates, Risk Institutionals, Market Risk, Risk methodologies) as well as IT teams, Front-Office Risk teams such as TRS Team (Trading and Risk Strategy).
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
• Proven computational skills required (R/Python, Excel, Access, VBA)
• The candidate should have a solid quantitative background with ideally a previous experience in a quantitative environment through a technical role as a market risk analyst (ideally in equity or rates)
• Excellent knowledge of derivatives, ideally across multiple asset classes.
• Ability to react quickly but precisely in high pressure trading situations with Front Office interactions.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to further build the business / risk relationship and to clearly and concisely report the risk in a jargon-free way.
• Ability to work in a team and interact with multiple stakeholders of different technical backgrounds
• The candidate should be able to efficiently prioritise work and show resourcefulness in order to meet deadlines, whilst having the ability to react to changing priorities as markets move.
• Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good Conduct
• Demonstrate proactivity, transparency, and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
• Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure
Please note that all applicants must disclose whether that they possess the right to work in the U.K. as per the Immigration, Asylum, and Nationality Act of 2006