About the job
- The Tax Department is in charge of all Portuguese taxes (except for those associated to employees) therefore a transversal profile is requested
Your Main Activities Are
- Contribution to monitoring tax risk in Portugal
- Liaising with Group Tax Department (and other relevant departments) for purposes of discussing Value Added Tax (VAT) and other topics
- Closely monitoring and actively contributing/assisting to VAT related topics transversally within the Group (VAT pro-rata, new rulings/jurisprudence to be analysed and implemented)
- Contribution to Tax opinions requested in Portugal (other departments, other Group entities) and abroad (Group Tax Department or others)
- Contribution to supervision of tax aspects related to intragroup and client transactions (standards for current transactions, validation of new products and activities, specific transactions)
- Handling relationships with tax authorities/accompanying tax inspections
- Review of initiatives which may require deep VAT analysis
- Assistance, on a consulting basis, to questions from Finance/Accounting department (when submitting VAT statements)
- Other tasks inherent to a Tax Expert position not VAT exclusively related (including involvement in projects launched based on evolution of tax legislation in Portugal and for which we need to adapt the Group’s systems). The candidate we are looking for will be more focused on related topics, however will also handle some other (transversal) topics
Profile and Skills to Success
- 5 years’ experience in a Tax firm (Big 4 preferred) or in the Tax department of a Multinational enterprise
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Accounting, Management or Economy, Finance or Law, with experience in VAT
- Fluency in English mandatory (spoken and written)
- Strong knowledge in Computer Science (as user), namely Excel proficient
- Strong analysis capacity and interpretation of the tax legislation, problem solving, autonomy, organization and responsibility
- Capacity to work under pressure and commitment with deadlines
- Strong interpersonal working relationships and team spirit
- Able to adapt to a fast pace and multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge on banking and insurance products is a plus
- French is a plus
About the Team
- Our mission is to cover all aspects related to tax which may have an impact on any of the BNP Paribas Group entities present in Portugal (which are associated to banking and insurance sectors, vehicles’ renting activity, real estate, among others), working in respect of the Tax policies and recommendations issued by the Group Tax Department in Paris. Naturally, the local tax team works in compliance with the Portuguese legislation, as well as with international tax law, providing support for management decisions. Besides the local business of the branch, we provide a dedicated support to all the hosted services in Portugal
Why joining BNP Paribas?
· Leading banking institution
BNP Paribas is a leader in the Eurozone, and a prominent international banking institution with strong roots in Europe's banking history. It has a presence in 65 countries, with around 190 000 Employees – including more than 145 000 in Europe.
· Our presence in Portugal
Since 1985, BNP Paribas was one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, the Group has around 7.100 employees across several entities operating directly in the territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
· International reach
Thanks to its international presence and regular and close collaboration among its different entities, BNP Paribas has the resources to support all clients with financing, investment, savings and protection solutions that help make their projects a success. BNP Paribas holds key positions in its three core operating divisions:
- Retail Banking, a division that brings together all of the Group’s retail activities and specialised business lines;
- Investment & Protection Services that include specialised businesses offering a wide range of savings, investment and protection services;
- Corporate & Institutional Banking division that offers tailored financial solutions for corporate and institutional clients.
· Diversity and Inclusion commitment
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency, which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
· Commitment towards work/life balance
At BNP Paribas we care about our employees wellbeing and promote a culture of good integration between work and rest. We believe our employees have rich personal lives outside of work, being fundamental to be disconnected from work to recharge both physically and mentally. Only through this balance we may all be at our best while working.
· Remote Working Conditions
At BNP Paribas, we embrace a Smart Working framework based on trust, autonomy and collaboration. Within this framework, eligible employees can benefit from flexible remote working modalities adapted to our hybrid working environment. To guarantee a comfortable and efficient working set-up, eligible employees are provided with both the office and home equipment, are entitled to an equipment allowance and can benefit from exclusive partnerships to purchase additional equipment at reduced prices.
To find out more on why you should join BNP Paribas visit https://bnpp.lk/why-BNP-Paribas-Portugal
* Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
* In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.