About the job
- Global Markets is BNP Paribas’ capital markets business within the Corporate & Institutional Bank (CIB), delivering solutions across asset classes, and industry-leading services for clients including Institutionals, corporates, private banks and retail distribution networks
- Global Markets encompasses seven global business lines; G10 Rates, Equity Derivatives, Forex & Local Markets, Commodity Derivatives, Credit, Prime Solutions & Financing and Primary Markets, helping their franchise of clients find effective ways to raise and invest capital as well as manage their exposure to risk
- Global Markets is made up of over 3,700 staff globally based in EMEA, the Americas and Asia Pacific, with the main trading floors located in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Singapore and Tokyo
- Markets 360 Strategy & Economics comprises of over 75 economists, strategists and support staff, with research coverage encompassing Europe, North America, Japan, Asia ex-Japan, CEEMEA and Latin America
Your Main Activities Are
- Assist the team in developing market leading quant indicators for asset prices, economic variables and derivative markets using mathematical and statistical techniques, including econometrics and machine learning
- Maintain and update models, including creating visual representations of outputs, compiling of dashboards, presentations and publications
- Support the Macro Quant & Derivative Strategy team in London in the process of generating trade ideas, researching new modelling techniques and producing thematic research reports which relates quant analytics to the current economic and market news flow
- The responsibilities are fulfilled through close collaboration with the rest of the Markets 360 Strategy & Economics team and quants from other business lines located both Portugal and London
- Updating existing models
- Maintaining existing suite of models across economics, asset prices and derivatives to take into consideration the latest market and economic data
- Output are compiled into dashboards published on our client portal, as well as in presentations and publications. These are circulated externally to clients and internally to sales and trading
- Development of new models
- Help to develop new models and tools, by means of
- Reviewing academic research to identify new modelling approaches
- Running data analytics
- Exploring use of new data science techniques
- Testing new date sets (i.e. alternative data)
- Digitalisation/automation: Increase the automation of processes and the digitization of outputs (e.g. Web-based/HTML dashboards), working together with FIRST quant teams in Portugal and London
- Application of quant analytics: Assist in preparing presentations for client meetings, running data analytics in response to client requests and data analysis in response to market events
Profile and Skills to Success
- Master degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Economics with a speciality in Econometrics
- Analytical and quantitative skills - Good knowledge of Python (preferred), R, Matlab, VBA and any other coding languages
- Until 3 years of experience in the area
- Strong interest in data analysis
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly
- Excellent communication skills
- Precision and rigorousness
- Reliability and capacity to deliver
- Autonomy and proactivity
- Team spirit and ability to work with others
- Ability to process large amount of data and make extractions from various systems
- Prior experience in equities or interest rate markets are a plus
- Training will be provided at the beginning of the role in order to become familiar with the tasks and systems. This may include a visit to London (dependent on travel restrictions) to build relationships with other team members
- Position available to be fixed in Lisbon or Porto, according to the candidates preference/availability
About the Team
- The team communicates economic and strategic views to internal and external clients and the media. We aim to publish clear, timely, thought-provoking pieces on topics ranging from financial and economic forecasts to in-depth analysis of the economies under coverage and related political developments
- The Macro Quant & Derivative Strategy team is part of Markets 360 and is responsible for quantitative and evidence based research for macroeconomics, assets across the major asset classes and derivatives. The team develops and maintains models and processes for analysing markets, generating trade ideas and as part of thematic publications. The team is client facing and works closely with sales, trading and the Quantitative Investments Strategies (QIS) group
Why joining BNP Paribas?
· Leading banking institution
BNP Paribas is a leader in the Eurozone, and a prominent international banking institution with strong roots in Europe's banking history. It has a presence in 65 countries, with around 190 000 Employees – including more than 145 000 in Europe.
· Our presence in Portugal
Since 1985, BNP Paribas was one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, the Group has around 7.100 employees across several entities operating directly in the territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
· International reach
Thanks to its international presence and regular and close collaboration among its different entities, BNP Paribas has the resources to support all clients with financing, investment, savings and protection solutions that help make their projects a success. BNP Paribas holds key positions in its three core operating divisions:
- Retail Banking, a division that brings together all of the Group’s retail activities and specialised business lines;
- Investment & Protection Services that include specialised businesses offering a wide range of savings, investment and protection services;
- Corporate & Institutional Banking division that offers tailored financial solutions for corporate and institutional clients.
· Diversity and Inclusion commitment
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency, which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
· Commitment towards work/life balance
At BNP Paribas we care about our employees wellbeing and promote a culture of good integration between work and rest. We believe our employees have rich personal lives outside of work, being fundamental to be disconnected from work to recharge both physically and mentally. Only through this balance we may all be at our best while working.
· Remote Working Conditions
At BNP Paribas, we embrace a Smart Working framework based on trust, autonomy and collaboration. Within this framework, eligible employees can benefit from flexible remote working modalities adapted to our hybrid working environment. To guarantee a comfortable and efficient working set-up, eligible employees are provided with both the office and home equipment, are entitled to an equipment allowance and can benefit from exclusive partnerships to purchase additional equipment at reduced prices.
To find out more on why you should join BNP Paribas visit https://bnpp.lk/why-BNP-Paribas-Portugal
* Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
* In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.