For the last five years, banks have seen the emergence of new players who compete with them or...
How does the bank help you while traveling?
Going someplace new to discover the wonders of the world? You are not alone : 74.8% of people in France traveled for vacation in 2015. For young Europeans, travel has even come to resemble a basic need . Despite the ancient Chinese proverb saying that “a good traveler is one who does not know where he is going to”, it is always better to count on a bank that knows what it is doing.
Preparing for your trip: the bank can already lend a hand
Are you planning a trip abroad, but are worried about fees for every withdrawal, surprise expenses or the steps you need to take if you have a problem with your card? To make sure you have an unforgettable trip, nothing should be left to chance. No matter how long you are staying, traveling abroad always demands a hefty budget and planning that should not be taken lightly. Ensuring a successful trip starts long before departure:
Financing your trip:
- Traveling is expensive: the average French traveler spent €1,340 on their vacation in 2015 while the average American traveler spent $2,040. That’s a pretty penny, but still a far cry from the €5,400 that Chinese tourists spend in France.
- BNP Paribas helps young travelers by offering student loans to fund trips abroad: zero-interest loans of up to €2,000 (available through 12/31), etc.
In many countries travel expenses increase from year to year (notably in the United States). Travel involves fees, and these fees are going up, so inform your bank about an upcoming trip. Stop by your local branch to speak with your banker and complete all necessary procedures:
- Change your credit or debit card, if necessary
- Check and change your withdrawal limits
- Make sure you have enough cash (in local currency) and savings set up in advance
- Avoid any holds placed on your card when withdrawing money abroad
And after you arrive? Travel with peace of mind
The time has come! Your bags are packed, the taxi has dropped you off, and now your vacation can really begin… But then trouble hits as soon as you arrive at the check-in counter: your flight is canceled! Rest assured, your bank is there to help you even at the airport:
Your credit or debit card is your best friend:
- Even better than cash, credit or debit cards are the easiest payment method when traveling abroad: don’t forget yours!
- These cards often include a form of insurance to help you manage unexpected events: delayed or canceled flights, stolen or damaged baggage.
- The Visa Premier card also offers international coverage: medical, legal and repatriation assistance.
(For reference, the Visa Premier card is provided free of charge for the first year of a student’s stay abroad. Available through 12/31)
BNP Paribas offers insurance dedicated to young customers:
Once you arrive at your destination, you can relax, enjoy the sun or explore your surroundings with total peace of mind. Your bank has you covered with Crystal Studies, supplemental insurance for students while abroad:
- Pay nothing out-of-pocket for hospital stays
- Coverage provided in every country you visit
- Guarantees that meet the standards of the top international universities
International withdrawals and payments:
- Traveling abroad can intensify your urge to spend. In 2015, the global tourism market (3rd biggest global market) exceeded 1 trillion euros in revenue!
- BNP Paribas Fortis takes every measure to ensure that online payments are just as easy for its customers as in Belgium.
- BNP Paribas Global Network & Global Alliance : A network of partner branches located all around the world with nearly 52,000 ATMs in over 50 countries.
- Find the map of international ATM locations online.
Even after you get home, you can count on your bank’s support for the five years following your trip.
Read moreAll news
Ranked 155th on the Human Development Index (HDI), Madagascar is one of the world’s most...
The social and solidarity economy (SSE) accounts for more than 15 million workers in the...