On the 4th of March, the 1st Belgian SIB ( Social Impact Bond) structured and financed by BNP...
10th edition of the Lumière festival: classic cinema in the spotlight
The Lumière festival will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this year in Lyon, from Saturday 13 to Sunday 21 October. A rich and eclectic programme will mark the occasion: 421 screenings and 174 films shown at 60 venues throughout the metropolitan area of Lyon.
A global event for heritage cinema
Dedicated to the memory and history of cinema, the festival will pay tribute all week long to film-making of the past and present:
- numerous guest actors, directors, producers and movie-buff artists will present screenings or talk with festival-goers during master classes: Javier Bardem, Alfonso Cuarón, Liv Ullmann, Biyouna, and more.
- all-nighters, screening marathons to discover or rediscover the Lord of the Rings trilogy and three cult films by Sergio Leone
- silent-movie masterpieces with live music in the Lyon Auditorium: Charlie Chaplin’s "The Gold Rush", and "Go West" starring Buster Keaton
- family screenings with 4 films for young audiences, at a special price of €4 for children under 14
- a selection of restored films, with a focus on French and American cinema
Visitors will also be able to stroll through the festival village where there will be a bookshop with over 450 titles, the big DVD market with 4,500 films, and newly this year, a concert with a different group performing every evening. Plus there will be several photo exhibitions to visit throughout the town.
Jane Fonda, Lumière Award 2018
Each year, the festival bestows the Lumière Award on a leading personality in cinema to honour their entire career. Guest of honour at the festival’s 10th anniversary, American actress and producer Jane Fonda will also give a master class and pay tribute to her father, Henry Fonda, with a dedicated retrospective show.
© Andrew Eccles / August-Agence A
BNP Paribas, partner of cinema in all its forms
Active for many years already in film funding, the Group is also committed to the conservation of legendary film theatres and the restoration of world film heritage. It is therefore only natural that the bank has been an official partner of the Lumière festival since its very first edition. "Julia", a film by Fred Zinnemann starring Jane Fonda, restored by Twentieth Century Fox with the support of BNP Paribas, will be screened during the retrospective tribute to the actress.
BNP Paribas will also be present in the village, hosting a virtual-reality space with various VR experiences to enjoy:
- "Kinoscope": viewers will be immersed into an animated and colourful world to discover the history of cinema-
- "Inside the Box of Kurios™": get immersed on stage inside the box of Kurios™, the cabinet of curiosities from Cirque du Soleil®.
Header photo credit: © Andrew Eccles / August-Agence A
Read moreAll news
1 Mobile, 1 Minute, 1 Movie: this is the challenge issued by the Mobile Film Festival, supported...