- For the 2018 Davis Cup final, to be played on 23-25 November, BNP Paribas is rolling out an unrivalled array of fan resources designed to enable all supporters get closely involved in the event.
- A massive flag (‘tifo’) will be displayed in the stands of the Pierre Mauroy stadium at Lille to help fuel the passion of the 500 French fans registered to make up the ‘We Are Tennis Fan Academy’ supporters’ team on each day of the event, and stimulate the enthusiasm of all the tennis fans present.
- To mark what will be his last appearance as Captain of the French team, Yannick Noah is also fronting a campaign on the ‘We Are Tennis’ platform and the social networks to mobilise fans.
‘We Are Tennis by BNP Paribas’ encourages all supporters to get involved
‘We Are Tennis by BNP Paribas’ has called on Yannick Noah, whose long tennis career has been strongly characterised by his close affinity with the fans, to help unite supporters behind the ‘Blues’. In a campaign launched on the social media on 13 November, the Captain of the French team competing in the ‘Davis Cup by BNP Paribas’ is encouraging all those people following tennis online to become true supporters – i.e. “those who are there from start to finish, whatever happens.” Internet users can also share their own definition of what it means to be a ‘true supporter’ on Twitter, using the hashtag #UnVraiSupporterCest. Participants also have the opportunity to enter for a prize draw with a chance to win tickets for the final.
Unfurling the flag
The final, in which France will play Croatia, promises to be hotly contested on the court and to arouse passion in the stands. To whip up the fervour, a ‘tifo’ – consisting of the unfurling by supporters of a flag of 600 square meters – will take place throughout the weekend. The flag will feature the five French players selected for the final, plus their Captain, surrounded by ten stars representing France’s ten Davis Cup victories to-date since the competition was inaugurated in 1900. The flag will also be used to celebrate the loyalty of the 2,500 registered supporters of the ‘We Are Tennis Fan Academy’, whose names will appear on the fabric. Some 1,500 of them will in fact be there in the stadium to support the French team in their bid to add an eleventh star to the total haul of victories. Encouraging all supporters, BNP Paribas also designed a flag for Croatian supporters.
‘Aces Du Coeur’ in support of the Saint Vincent de Paul Hospital and the ‘Fête le Mur’ charity
Since 2015, BNP Paribas has been running a charity action called ‘Aces Du Cœur’ (‘Aces of the Heart’), whereby for each ace served during a given tournament the Bank donates a certain amount of money to paediatric hospitals so as to improve the facilities provided to, and the daily lives of, hospitalised children and their families. For this Davis Cup final, BNP Paribas is for the first time including among the recipients 'Fête le Mur', a charity organisation which works to encourage and enable young people from underprivileged neighbourhoods to take up the sport of tennis – for instance in the Lille suburbs of Béthune, Lille Sud, Stains and Bar-le-Duc. For every ace served during the three days of play, €200 will be donated, to be shared equally between the Saint Vincent de Paul Hospital in Lille and the ‘Fête le Mur’ activities. As a further boost to this social action programme, 80 youngsters signed up with Fête le Mur will be invited to come and watch this major celebration of tennis in France.
BNP Paribas is today the number one partner to tennis worldwide, with a commitment, unrivalled in sport, which goes back all the way to 1973. The Group’s support covers all levels and dimensions of the game all over the world, including singles, doubles, team tennis, wheelchair tennis and family tennis, ranging from beginners’ training to the top professional tournaments.
- Professional Tennis: Official sponsor of the French Open at Roland Garros; title sponsor of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas; title sponsor of three ATP Masters 1000 tournaments – the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters, the Internazionali BNL d’Italia (Italian Open) in Rome; partner to the Open 13 (Marseilles), the Moselle Open, the Parc de Lyon Open, the BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open and the Fever-Tree Championships (Queen’s Club, London);
- Wheelchair Tennis: BNP Paribas Open de France; BNP Paribas World Team Cup;
- Junior & University Tennis and Academies: The Junior Davis Cup by BNP Paribas and Junior Fed Cup by BNP Paribas; the Master’U BNP Paribas ;
- Amateur Tennis: Sponsor of the BNP Paribas Family Trophy; also providing support to over 1,000 amateur tournaments around the world through partnerships with more than 20 national tennis federations; also working with dozens of tennis-based charities such as Yannick Noah’s charity organisation ‘Fête le mur’; as well as being the mainspring of a number of ground-breaking social projects linked to tennis;
- The ‘BNP Paribas Young Talent Team’ mentored by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, sponsored in association with the French Tennis Federation.
Having entered into all these partnerships, BNP Paribas set up in 2011 a programme called We Are Tennis, whose purpose is to promote interest in the game of tennis all over the world. The wearetennis.com website and its social network accounts bring together a community of tennis lovers and dedicated fans from all continents who are keen to obtain the latest news from the ATP, WTA and ITF circuits. Furthermore, in 2015 BNP Paribas created the We Are Tennis Fan Academy, which enables fans to express their passion for tennis as never before. BNP Paribas also supports local tennis through crowdfunding campaigns designed to finance projects.
In addition, the Group initiated in 2015 a charity programme called ‘Aces of the Heart’ to assist young hospital in-patients and their families. The programme seeks to improve the daily lives and reception facilities at children’s hospitals and arranges for the children to attend tennis tournaments sponsored by BNP Paribas.