• This press release covers the consolidated results of Fortis Bank sa/nv (hereafter BNP Paribas Fortis) for the first six months of 2009. These figures are therefore different from the figures presented in the half year results announcement of BNP Paribas (4 August 2009). BNP Paribas acquired a majority stake in the bank on 12 May 2009 and therefore only reported on the contribution of BNP Paribas Fortis during this period of the second quarter.
• During the first half of 2009, BNP Paribas Fortis sold a part (the ‘Portfolio OUT') of its structured credit portfolio to the special purpose vehicle Royal Park Investment (‘RPI') as had been agreed in the ‘Protocole d'Accord' (as subsequently amended by the ‘Avenant n° 3') between the SFPI/FPIM, BNP Paribas, Fortis holding (Fortis SA/NV and Fortis N.V.) and BNP Paribas Fortis. This transaction had a positive impact on the results of BNP Paribas Fortis for the first half-year. Details are provided in the press release below.
• In its reporting, BNP Paribas Fortis, as a consequence of the integration with BNP Paribas and in line with changing conditions in financial markets and in the global economic situation, has partially aligned its accounting policies, accounting estimates, classifications and methodologies and parameters used in the valuation and measurement of assets and liabilities, with the policies, estimates, classifications, methodologies and parameters applied by BNP Paribas.
• Comparison with the respective half year of 2008 have limited relevance given the completely different structure of the organisation (as a result of the sale of the Dutch activities) and are therefore not included.
Stronger structure attracts significant deposits.
Half year result breakeven on the back of high loan loss provisions.
Statutory consolidated results in IFRS
• Reported net loss of EUR 17 million but underlying net profit of EUR 93 million for the first half year, showing improvement in commercial activities
• Better liquidity position thanks to return of confidence
• Tier 1 capital ratio increased to 12.1%
• Good performance amidst a stabilisation of the commercial franchise. In Belgian Retail Banking, net asset inflows from individual customers totalled 2.2 billion euros in the second quarter 2009 compared to 1.7 billion in net asset outflows in the first quarter of the year.
• Integration process with the BNP Paribas Group on track
Full press release: BNP Paribas Fortis' Half year results of 2009 (175 ko)
BNP Paribas Fortis joined BNP Paribas, a leading European financial services group of international standing, in May 2009. BNP Paribas is the euro-zone's largest bank by deposits, and is one of the six most solid banks worldwide according to Standard & Poor's, employing more than 205,000 people in 85 countries. The group occupies key positions with its core businesses in Retail Banking, Investment Solutions and Corporate & Investment Banking. BNP Paribas has four domestic markets in retail banking: Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg. It also has a significant presence in the US and leading positions in Asia and emerging markets.
Under the name BNP Paribas Fortis, the bank offers the Belgian market a comprehensive package of financial services for private individuals, the self-employed, professionals and SMEs. In the insurance sector, BNP Paribas Fortis works closely with Belgian market leader AG Insurance. The bank also provides wealthy individuals, corporations and public and financial institutions with custom solutions for which it can draw on BNP Paribas' knowhow and international network.