BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
The Counterparty and Financing Risk Stream (CFR) covers the following main responsibilities:
- Counterparty risks generated by any corporate, financial (incl.market infrastructure) or sovereign counterparty
- Market risks generated in the GBL Prime Solutions & Financing (including Prime Brokerage), in XVA activities and in BP2S MFS acitvities
- Liquidity, Funding and Collateral risks generated by Global Markets
The key responsibilities of the team are:
- Review, from counterparty risk point of view, any non-vanilla transactions, passing anything requiring a transaction approval committee to the relevant team
- Coordination in case of standard portfolio novation or regular IM optimisation exercises
- Propose systems enhancements for counterparty risk monitoring
- Produce and / or monitor main regulatory / economic liquidity risk indicators and global portfolio of collateral
- Maintain overrides for exotic counterparty exposures in systems
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities of the Data Scientist are:
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of the tools in use by the team
- With other CFR team members participate in analysis projects with a main focus on the analysis of the corresponding data and the visualisation of the results
- Help drive new approaches to present the risks to senior management, such as the use of dynamic dashboards to replace static reports
- Investigate the use of machine learning approaches to help the CFR team get a better understanding of the risks, improve methodologies or help identifying data quality issues automatically
- The candidate should have a solid programming background with a minimum 1 year of experience
- Strong skills in R and/or Python, as well as good skills in Excel/VBA and Access
- Basic understanding and keen interest in different machine learning techniques
- Good communication skills are required with an ability to communicate complicated programming approaches or machine learning techniques to colleagues with a different technical background
- Ability to efficiently prioritise work and show resourcefulness in order to meet deadlines, whilst having the ability to react to changing priorities
- Affinity with financial markets, i.e. derivatives products, market risk management, counterparty risk management
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.