A delegation from BNP Paribas led by Michel Pébereau, Chairman of BNP Paribas, and Didier Balme, Head of North and East Asia, is visiting China during the week of November 24.
A number of important events are planned. Michel Pébereau will officiate at the opening ceremonies of the Group's wholly owned locally incorporated bank, BNP Paribas (China) Limited and its securities joint venture, Changjiang BNP Paribas Peregrine Securities Co., Ltd. This signifies a new business era built upon its continuous long-term commitment to China since 1860.
Michel Pébereau will also attend the signing ceremony of BNP Paribas' donation to the Sino-French Research Centre for Life Science and Genome in Shanghai signifying the continuing commitment of BNP Paribas to the community in China.
In addition, Michel Pébereau will meet with key business partners and long-term clients to discuss BNP Paribas' business plans in China.
BNP Paribas is committed to its development in China as the China market has been experiencing unprecedented growth, opening up tremendous opportunities for both the Group and its clients.
___________________________________________________________________About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas in China - a long term commitment
- Being a European leader in banking and financial services and the Number One bank in Euro Zone in terms of net income and market capitalisation, BNP Paribas considers the China market as one of the key elements in its Asia development strategy
- BNP Paribas in China today is built upon the long-term commitment it has to China, a relationship which it has enjoyed since 1860.
- In 1980, BNP Paribas became the first European bank to open a representative office in Beijing. Then in 1992, BNP Paribas opened the first Sino-French joint venture bank, the International Bank of Paris and Shanghai ( IBPS ) in Shanghai, with Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), one of the largest commercial banks in China.
- During the 1990's, BNP Paribas established branches and representative offices in key cities in order to provide an extensive network for serving its clients. Also in 1997, approval for an RMB licence was granted to IBPS.
- In Hong Kong, BNP Paribas has been operating for more than four decades, since 1958. It ranks as one of the top foreign banks operating in the SAR.BNP Paribas in China - going into the 21st century
An active role to play in the domestic market in China
- BNP Paribas is ready to provide an expanded scope of banking and financial services in China, through an expanded product range and through new ventures.
New era in Banking
- BNP Paribas took an unprecedented step in transforming its joint venture bank into a wholly foreign owned bank locally incorporated in China.
BNP Paribas (China) Limited will open on November 26, 2003 in Shanghai.
New era in Securities
- BNP Paribas took the lead in establishing a securities joint venture with Changjiang Securities to develop the domestic securities market in China. The joint-venture aims to be the lead underwriter in China.
Changjiang BNP Paribas Peregrine Securities Co., Ltd. will open on November 26, 2003 in Shanghai.
New era in Asset Management
- BNP Paribas has partnered with Shenyin & Wanguo Securities to set up an asset management joint venture to develop the domestic asset management business in Shanghai. The joint venture is scheduled to open towards the end of the year.
Michéle Sicard: (331) 4014 7061
Virginie Ourceyre: (852) 2909 8812
Connie Chung: (852) 2825 1968