An ecosystem dedicated to innovation
In recent years, BNP Paribas has continued to develop its leadership in open innovation and has established itself as the benchmark bank for start-ups and innovative companies. Collaborating with young, growing companies that are revolutionising our business models and developing laboratories that anticipate trends are two essential components of our innovation strategy.
Our partnerships and support for innovative initiatives
As an active and constant supporter of FinTech, DeepTech and InsurTech companies worldwide, BNP Paribas is a major player in the start-up ecosystem.
- Since 2017, the Group has been present at Station F (France’s largest start-up incubator), from where it operates several acceleration programmes for start-ups. The BNP Paribas Plug and Play programme, for example, dedicated to international FinTech and InsurTech start-ups, is helping to accelerate BNP Paribas’ digital transformation. More than 50 pilot projects have already been completed and 35% of them are implemented within the Group.
Four successful years for BNP Paribas Acceleration Programs at Station F
Another typical example of our cooperation with the start-up ecosystem is the WAI (We are Innovation) programme, which has been created to support all companies seeking to innovate. WAI invests in start-ups, advises medium-size and large corporates on their innovation strategy, and provides two innovation facilities: WAI Paris and WAI Massy-Saclay. Throughout France, 65 WAI centres have been created, with 100 dedicated business managers. 70% of French Tech 120 start-ups are advised by BNP Paribas.
And because innovation is inextricably linked to social and environmental issues, we support impact entrepreneurs: with the crowdfunding platform Ulule, we select several projects each quarter, which receive a €2,000 grant and privileged access to several of our services. This scheme is in line with the Act for Impact initiative, launched in January 2018 by BNP Paribas.
We also support disruptive innovation through our partnership with Hello Tomorrow, a global organisation that supports the development of DeepTech start-ups. From 16 to 20 November 2020, our experts joined Hello Tomorrow’s Global Summit, where some 5,000 start-ups, academia and the business world met to discuss the technologies that will impact the future, shaping our lives.
BNP Paribas invests in innovation!
- BNP Paribas has committed to invest €75 million in the BNP Paribas Solar Impulse Venture, a new investment fund dedicated to supporting CleanTechs, innovative start-ups that work to protect the environment. The BNP Paribas Solar Impulse Venture fund will eventually be managed by BNP Paribas Agility Capital and intends to invest €150m in these high-potential start-ups.
- Since its creation, the WAI Venture Fund has raised over €120 million in equity capital for innovative companies, via BNP Paribas Développement and partner investment funds.
- BNP Paribas has decided to increase its equity investments to €4 billion to support SMEs and medium-size corporates in France.
A positive impact intrapreneurship programme
Intrapreneurship injects agility into processes and broadens the sources of innovation. In order to encourage the emergence of new ideas and a spirit of initiative among its employees, the BNP Paribas Group is committed to a genuine intrapreneurial policy.
- The Group Level Intrapreneurship Programme People’s Lab for Good (PL4G) enables employees to develop solutions to CSR issues, in line with the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals. The programme, that combines training in start-up methodologies and education to Social and Solidarity Economy (SSE), is attended each year by a class of a dozen French-speaking employees.
Detect trends and transform them into opportunities
Innovating means anticipating the changes that affect our clients, detecting market trends and transforming them into opportunities. Accordingly, we’ve set up various “laboratories” dedicated to monitoring and innovation:
- Cardif Lab, the laboratory of the insurance subsidiary of BNP Paribas Cardif. Its goal is to detect innovations developed in the 37 countries where BNP Paribas Cardif operates, and to draw inspiration from them to offer new products and services to policyholders.
- L’Echangeur, BNP Paribas Personal Finance’s prospecting and innovation unit dedicated to corporate clients, on new retail and consumer practices.
- L’Atelier, an independent subsidiary of the BNP Paribas Group specialising in research and forecasting. Its mission is to discover, over the next ten years, new market challenges and opportunities, driven by digital and virtual innovations..
- Bivwak!, a cross-functional programme designed to support the entities and subsidiaries of BNP Paribas in their business transformation. It’s also a place for innovation located in Paris.
Cardif Lab entrance (photo credit @Cardif Lab) >
- The Finlab, an initiative with the Bank of the West Commercial Banking Group, detects early ideas and technologies that can over time enable customers to be more efficient and forward-looking.
- And the “innovation labs” include also BPSS Lab, the innovation laboratory of BNP Paribas Securities Services, the HoMe Lab, the innovation laboratory of IRB (BNP Paribas International Retail Banking) and the CIB Lab.
Photos credits : @Vasyl, @ADDICTIVE STOCK, Bivwak!