Vice President – Senior Operational Risk Process Implementation
Standard / Permanent
BNP Paribas Group
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 75 countries, with more than 189,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking
Fully integrated in the BNP Paribas Group, BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading provider of solutions to two client franchises: corporates and institutionals, and operates across EMEA (Europe Middle East Africa), APAC (Asia Pacific) and the Americas. The bank is a global leader in Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives. It is a top European house in Equity Capital Markets and it has leading franchises in Specialized Financing. In Securities Services, it is a top five House worldwide. BNP Paribas CIB strives to service the global economy by providing solutions to its clients in financing (ECM, DCM, specialized financing), flow banking (trade finance and cash management), financial advisory (M&A, project finance), global markets (interest rates, credit, foreign exchange, equity derivatives), risk management, and securities services.
The mission of RISK ORC is to oversee the effective and efficient functioning of the permanent control framework implemented by Business Lines and Functions, and the measurement and management of operational risks. RISK ORC serves in an independent oversight capacity as the 2nd line of defense, ensuring that the 1st line of defense (under the responsibility of Operational Permanent Control management), is fulfilling its objectives and requirements. RISK ORC’s scope covers the corporate and institutional banking activities within North America, and the supporting operational units and transversal functions.
Responsible for assisting to the planning, development and implementation of assigned activities and programs associated with operational risk management for CIB. Position responsibilities:
- Partner with the business units responsible for the Operational Permanent Control framework to ensure sound controls are implemented as part of new projects and business as usual enhancements. Review, analyze, and makes recommendations to the design and implementation of the operational risk management framework/measurement methodologies, in coordination with BNP Paribas’ Group Risk Management – Operational Risk, as adapted to the U.S. CIB environment.
- Provide leadership in the planning, development and implementation of operational risk frameworks/measurement methodologies, policies, standards and procedures specific to the needs of the business which are aligned with the Bank's Operational Risk Program
- Analyze and document various processes and products, existing or new, by working with the business units / OPCs to identify key processes as described by the Operational Risk framework (process documentation, risk assessment, controls documentation and testing implementation).
- Work with management and staff in areas of the organization affected by alterations in business practices to ensure understanding and implementation of new operational risk policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with business units responsible for Operational Permanent Control framework to study and investigate operational risk issues / incidents and identify and implement solutions.
- Support the design and implementation of operational risk governance model for the business. Perform necessary monitoring and oversight functions to ensure effective management and compliance with company-wide program requirements. Monitor to ensure key program requirements are being met through analysis of metrics and data. Escalates issues to appropriate levels within the organization.
- Identify enhancements for program tools and support and improved reporting. Develops new tools, define requirement, identify data sources, analyze data, and prepare reports as needed to effectively provide workable solutions or respond to requests for information from Senior/Executive Management, Regulators, and/or BNPP.
- Provide input to Risk and Controls Self-Assessments (RCSAs). Support quality assurance sampling and secondary reviews as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration) or the equivalent combination of education and experience required. MBA a plus.
- 7 to 10 years of operational risk management and/or auditing/control testing experience in a financial or banking institution. Excellent writing skills required for policy level documentation drafting.
A background or experience in the following is necessary to effectively perform the job.
Governance Reporting and Compliance (GRC) systems
Banking and Capital Markets products knowledge
Banking, Securities and Commodities laws, regulations, and governance
Historical Loss Incidents Collection
Potential Loss Incidents Analysis
External Historical Loss Incidents
Management and Regulatory Reporting
Risk Control Self-Assessment (RCSA)
FINRA Registrations Required