Vice President, Investment Grade Bond Team - Corporate Debt Platform
Standard / Permanent
BNP Paribas Corporate & Investment Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. We are part of the BNP Paribas Group, a financial institution with solid foundations and a proven ability to adapt to change. BNP Paribas CIB, with nearly 20,000 employees in over 50 countries, can offer you an exciting and truly global start to your career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate Debt Platform (“CDP”) offers a broad range of financing products and services in the global debt capital and loan markets. The CDP client base comprises of hundreds of corporates across EMEA.
CDP has the scale and reach to deliver financing products denominated in the major global currencies – from USD to JPY. Whilst the bank is the leader in EUR corporate issuance, the bond origination franchise can rely on syndicate hubs in New York, London, Tokyo, Zürich, Hong Kong, Singapore as well as Brussels and has thus one of the most global footprints among the major banks.
Overall Job Purpose
There is an opportunity for a Vice President to join the CDP Investment Grade Bond team in London, focussing primarily on Northern European corporate clients.
The team is responsible for the origination an execution of debt capital markets issues for a broad range of corporate clients across Northern Europe (UK, Ireland, the Nordics and The Netherlands). The team is also responsible for marketing the full range of fixed income solutions, which can include hybrid debt, liability management, ratings and capital structure advisory.
The focus of the role will be to provide additional support to the senior members of the Investment Grade Bond team on the largest and most frequent borrowersas well as lead responsibility on some other clients. The role will be to deepen the dialogue with our most frequent borrowers and develop the strategic dialogue as the team aims to seek ‘trusted advisor’ status.
- To provide support to senior Investment Grade Bond team-members in the origination and execution of bond issues;
- To provide relevant market updates and pricing to clients in a prompt and appropriate manner;
- To assist in the preparation of pitch-books to ensure they are fit for purpose and for presentation to clients –and specific to client requirements
- To coordinate client visits and to attend as/when required;
- To work closely with important internal stakeholders such as syndicate, coverage and derivative teams, as well as IG Loan colleagues within CDP
- Manage the new issue process (as required) through documentation, due diligence, marketing and execution ;
- To assist with internal management requests for information or ad hoc projects.
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong analytical and technical skill set
- Strong team player – cooperates and communicates at all levels
- An exceptional academic and professional record
- A proven track record of corporate bond deal experience is essential (ideally including USD transactions)
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite
- Excellent organisational skills
- Able to present in a measured, clear, articulate way
- Able to work collaboratively with teams within London and across Europe
- Ability to use good judgment and solve problems
- Hard working, creative and ability to work autonomously at times
- Drive for results: Delivers high quality work
- Risk awareness: Demonstrates a good awareness of risk and fundamental risk concepts. Always considers risk in his/her daily activities and abides by the Key Front Officer Responsibilities, where relevant
- Corporate role model, integrity & ethics: Acts with discipline and high ethical standards
- Team player & cross cultural awareness: Works effectively in a team. Collaborates and shares information and solutions with colleagues, with other teams and stakeholders
- Client focus: Sees stakeholders as well as external clients as “customers”
- Market, product & business: Is genuinely interested in financial markets and continually learning and staying abreast of new developments. Evidences a good appreciation of economics and market dynamics, with enough understanding to present views on market conditions and trends
- Business risk: Understands the market, credit, operational, compliance, legal, regulatory and reputational risks of transactions he/she managers
Essential personal skills
- Diligence: Displays dedication and prioritises problems by considering the impact on the business; identifies quick-wins as well as building long-term relationships
- Resilience: Stays calm and positive, controls his/her emotions in conflict or any situation of intense stress (due to market, time or client pressure)
- Communication (Active listener and clear communicator): Communicates clearly in English. Communicates pro-actively with management, escalating issues as necessary
- Innovation: Thinks laterally to identify other sources of useful information and sees ways around obstacles and barriers