Senior Analyst / Associate, Energy & Infrastructure
Standard / Permanent
FINANCIAL AND TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
BNP Paribas Overview
The BNP Paribas Group is a leader in banking and financial services, employing over 200,000 people across 80 countries and 5 continents. BNP Paribas Corporate & Investment Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. BNP Paribas CIB, with nearly 20,000 employees in over 50 countries, can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
Our Infrastructure Sector Team is responsible for bringing to our clients (Infrastructure / Pension and Sovereign Wealth Funds) strategic solutions on specialized financing combining expertise across structured financing, rating advisory and Mergers & Acquisitions with a focused international approach.
We are one of the major European players, both in Acquisition Financing and Structuring / Ratings Advice with a solid franchise in the UK, France, Spain, Germany and Italy.
Overall Job Purpose
To assist in the origination and execution of advisory and arranging mandates within the London Energy & Infrastructure team with a particular focus on financial analysis, financial modelling and structuring in Transportation (airport, port, toll road, rail) and regulated utilities.
When executing an debt advisory transaction in the context of acquisitions, to be able to provide advice on all aspects including valuation impact of financing, devising most optimal debt structuring, business plan, and process management.
Understanding of the market and the sector
- Develop specific knowledge in the infrastructure sector and be aware of trends and business opportunities including regulatory risk
- Develop on already acquired knowledge in credit markets (loans and bonds) for the infrastructure sector. Be familiar with financial structures and credit ratings applicable for the sector
- Undertake research analysis into industry sectors as required including airlines, airport & port operators, toll roads, train leasing companies, and regulated utilities
Credit risk and credit proposals
- Under direction of more senior members of the team autonomously lead or co-lead the preparation of the credit proposals. Ensure that the credit proposal expresses risks in a comprehensive, succinct and clear manner.
- Ensure that a detailed and exhaustive financial analysis (cash flow models and sensitivities) is provided.
- Provision of detailed financial analysis and projections based upon due diligence material and other research Attend credit committee meetings, as required.
Transaction execution and closing
- Actively participate from the origination to the closing of the transaction by assisting the Deal Captain in charge on any aspects related to the transaction including inter alia the production of financial analysis, valuation, term sheet and financing document negotiations, performing due diligence, RAROC calculations and writing sections of the credit memo (for an arranging role) or preparing presentations and support material to the equity clients (for a debt advisory roles) in an autonomous manner under the direction of the Deal Captain
- Create and or update financial models to produce sensitivities and interpret cash flow projections to determine credit risk and acceptable debt sizing range with the view to assessing its impact on value and returns
- Perform due diligence based upon available information including inter alia technical, legal, tax & accounting
- Review financial structure papers and highlight to the deal captain areas for appropriate mitigation to key lenders’ risks to be reflected in financing documentation
- Act as the “Portfolio Manager” for specific projects in the Portfolio by performing annual reviews and submitting waiver request if required
- Provide support to various internal departments (loan administration, accounting & finance, compliance) to ensure the closing and monitoring of transactions in a timely manner
Skills & Experience
- Strong academic record, Master in Economics or Finance preferred
- Previous work experience related to credit analysis, experience in Investment Banking / Structured Finance or similar front office environment with direct involvement in debt / ratings or M&A advisory transactions with demonstrated skills of acting autonomously in complex transactions as the [debt] modeller and member of the core execution team
- Proven experience in building and maintaining sophisticated financial models
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Analytical mind-set and commercial knowledge of loan and capital markets
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Mathematics, quantitative and logical analysis
- Good presentation skills
- Proficient in English and a second European language a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate tenacity and drive
- Strong interpersonal skills and proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail, adherence to the highest quality standards
- Team Player