Product Manager – Investment Analytics
Standard / Permanent
Job Summary / Description:
The Product Manager – Investment Analytics is responsible for product enhancement and service offering related to the investment analytical offering for Asian markets.
The role is regional covering Asia Pacific markets (primary jurisdictions include Singapore, Malaysia, HK, Brunei, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand).
The role sits within the Investment Reporting and Performance (IRP) business line, which is part of the Asset and Fund Services division of BNP Paribas Securities Services (BP2S). The business mission is to provide investment analytical services to internal and external clients of BP2S. The three key services areas are:
• Service delivery of investment performance & risk analytics for internal and external clients in Asia
• Client relationship management support for internal and external clients of IRP in Asia
• Technical expertise and product consulting for internal and external clients of IRP in Asia Pacific
IRP are a specialised, analytical and client services focused team. To enable them to complete their roles fully, they are required to communicate effectively with
• Relationship Managers
• Client Service Managers
• Administration teams
• Product Managers
• IRP teams globally
• BNP Paribas Clients
• Investment Managers
• Assets consultants
• Vendors / Data Suppliers
The role will primarily focus on leading the product development and management of Investment Analytical solutions. This includes dedicated responsibilities for the development of the Investment Analytical services product roadmap, the definition of the product proposition and supporting the associated business operating models for Investment Analytical services.
The Product Manager is a product specialist supporting coverage of Investment Analytical services within BNP Paribas Securities Services (BPSS). The Product Manager acts as an internal business engine focused on helping to support and grow BPSS business in Investment Analytical services and to seek leverage on other business lines of BPSS when implementing solutions.
Key responsibilities include product positioning and communications to our client facing and client development teams, particularly Institutional Sales, as well as providing product expertise for client meetings. The Product Manager may also be called upon to participate in client meetings.
The Product Manager plays a vital role in assisting our sales and marketing efforts. Communications are typically product updates and analysis, insights, sales ideas, RFPs, as well as competitive positioning, and use a variety of media including PowerPoint presentations, articles, written commentaries, video, oral presentations, responding to questions and inquiries, etc. The Product Manager is expected to continually generate creative ideas to help grow the business.
The Product Manager must build strong relationships and credibility with operational teams to attain a comprehensive knowledge of the products and how they are run on BAU mode to propose enhancements and process optimization. Based on their expertise, the Product Manager is leveraged by and interacts with multiple departments. The role will require engagement with a broad cross section of the organisation - senior management, client sector management, relationship management, service delivery & sales. Effective external engagement with senior level clients & prospects is essential in order to fully understand the products, and then design innovative value adding solutions which solve client problems.
Key Responsibilities :
Market and Product Strategy:
· Drive the development and maintenance of a holistic product strategy and associated roadmap for Investment Analytical services in Asia
· Identify new and enhanced global product opportunities, providing input to market/product strategy initiatives
· Maintain an awareness of market, regulations and competitor developments and position and differentiate the Investment Analytical Services offering relative to the competition
· Identify/validate target market segments in co-ordination with head of product and client segments; building and executing a product development road-map achieve and maintain competitive advantage, and to meet agreed financial targets
· Provide consultation and advisory services based on market best practices to regulators as an expert in Investment Analytics
· Build and strengthen product management function for Investment Analytical Services, including segment management initiatives for Investment Risk, Investment Compliance and ESG Services in Asia Pacific
· In conjunction with IT, align the Investment Analytical product architecture and design to the IT architectural blueprint, with a key focus on scalability and maximising cost efficiencies
· Prepare product pricing strategies and maintain product rate cards (developing and maintaining pricing models, pricing guidelines, setting pricing strategy; reviewing and approving financial proposals; managing unit costs with operations to enable BNP Paribas to compete; monitoring and managing product profitability)
· Design and maintain global service definition documentation and relevant elements of sales collateral for the product (Standard SLD, Product Description in marketing catalogue, story boards, standard scope of services documents, ‘demo’ environments and scripts…)
· Roll-out of new products, features, enhancements for Asia Pacific from a global development roadmap
· Participate to Investment Analytical Product governance (monthly calls, regular reporting, seminars…)
Sales and Business Development Support:
· Work closely with the Sales and Business Development team on various client pitches, RFPs, due diligence meetings and other discussions / negotiations
· Product and update marketing and sales collateral on an ongoing basis
· Active involvement in industry award submissions, surveys, pitches and other market-related initiatives
· Engage with top clients on product proposition / requirements and take feedback as input into product development
· Provide support for client on-boarding, where required, from a product perspective (e.g. operating model design, solutions to bespoke requirements etc.)
· Support new business proposals: approving clients, price, terms, service specification; developing proposals with Coverage for larger/complex deals
Research & Development:
· Focus on coordinating the implementation of new and complex processes to support our client pipeline. This involves specification, design, testing and deployment of new technical solutions
· Work with the operational teams in translating client experiences into potential product opportunities.
· Development of new products and methodologies to support specific client requirements as well as improving and expanding our offer.
· Participate as key stakeholder and sponsor to tactical and strategic change programmes, ensuring requirements are accurately captured and solutions are effective in improving product profitability
· Sponsor new product implementation projects (executed by IT and Operations)
· Manage the product change control process for the platforms supporting Investment Analytical services, including preparation of business cases and feasibility studies and prioritization of change requests
· Write business cases, and product approval documents for any new developments
Essential Technical Knowledge/Skills :
The candidate will need to be able to justify the following skills:
· Masters degree in finance
· English level: advanced
· CFA / CIPM / CAIA or FRM certifications recommended
· 8-10 years of experience in the financial services industry, with at least five years of product management experience on asset fund services products
· Deep theoretical knowledge of financial instruments (equity, fixed income, derivatives, swaps, forwards, mutual funds...)
· Institutional market experience preferred, especially on Asian markets
· Demonstrated success defining and launching products
· Capability to undertake detailed analysis and to formalize documentation to support the product lifecycle
· Operational experience in the financial services industry working directly on Investment Analytical services (performance / attribution / risk / compliance)
· Recommended understanding of the technology and systems supporting the products with direct knowledge of core analytical platforms
Qualifications and Experience :
Take personal responsibility, delivers against personal and team goals
Demonstrate proven ability to work self-sufficiently with both internal & external stakeholders
Attention to Detail
Ensure correctness and quality in work
Client focused value added approach inherent in all dealings
Effective verbal and written communication & effective interpersonal ability
A clear ability to interact, communicate and negotiate effectively at all levels and across functions
Motivates, develops and engages their team
Strategic mind-set, with strong conceptual, creative and analytical content
Maturity & Judgment
Demonstrates the ability to deal effectively with complex issues, learns from experience, assesses issues using relevant information and applying intuition. Makes informed and considered decisions.
Understands the strategic objectives of the business/team and works or delegates appropriately to ensure achievement with a quality focus. Self-motivated, with a strong sense of initiative
Works cohesively with a team of senior professionals to define and deliver against strategy, demonstrates sound intuition and political awareness. Ability to excel in a multi-cultural environment
Prioritises, delegates and manages workflows and tasks effectively to achieve individual and team goals
Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority