Legal Counsel - CIBLERA
Standard / Permanent
LEGAL AND TAX
CIB Legal European Regulatory & Advisory ("CIBLERA") is a dedicated team of lawyers within Group Legal principally supporting CIB. CIBLERA was created towards the end of 2010 in response to the heightened regulatory environment and the importance given to regulatory affairs by BNPP senior management. CIBLERA is an advisory (and not a transactional) team within CIB EMEA which co-ordinates and advises on a broad range of domestic, European and international regulatory issues and projects impacting CIB with a variety of stakeholders within BNPP.
Principally based in London, the candidate will work as part of a dedicated team of senior lawyers (three of whom are based in Paris) which has responsibility for the coordination, identification, analysis and dissemination of regulatory issues critically impacting CIB business lines. The role involves the interpretation and analysis of existing and prospective legislation, regulatory policy developments and consultative papers, and identifying and assessing the impact and consequences for CIB.
The candidate will be expected to work closely with relevant CIB stakeholders in relation to the interpretation and practical implementation of new regulations and laws, including Compliance, Operations, Risk and Global Markets front office, but also with the relevant lawyers within Legal globally.
The candidate will represent CIBLERA on both internal and external committees and industry led working groups and support BNPP’s domestic and international advocacy efforts on regulatory issues working closely with our Regulatory Affairs teams at both CIB and Group level.
• Qualified Lawyer
• Trained and have practiced in the non-contentious regulatory practice of a magic circle law firm or equivalent
• Expert knowledge in regulation affecting the UK / Europe, i.e. Volcker, EMIR, Dodd Frank
• Experience in a non-contentious advisory capacity
• Strong capital markets product knowledge including derivatives
Essential Skills / Competencies
• Self-motivated and confident individual, able to manage a large and diverse workload and interact comfortably and convincingly with all levels of management within the bank
• Familiarity with major pieces of derivatives regulation, including the Dodd Frank Act, EMIR and structural banking reform
• Outgoing and tenacious personality, capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team
• Able to deal with a robust and demanding internal client base, including handling multiple matters simultaneously and meeting tight deadlines when required
• Legal qualification
• Excellent command of written and spoken English
• French language skills desirable