Standard / Permanent
LEGAL AND TAX
A central team of technical experts, the Legal team provides specialised in-house advisory services related to all aspects of Securities Services. They work closely with the heads of business and partner with the various leadership teams providing technical legal advice and support. A primary area of focus for this team is effectively managing key legal risk through appropriate level of controls over the business. They are also responsible for the review, development and oversight of legal policy implementation.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Taking an active part in the negotiation and establishment of agreements for new clients or new deals with existing clients. This may take the form of supporting sales and relationship managers in their commercial negotiations, or directly engaging with client’s legal advisors to resolve technical issues.
- Providing legal and regulatory advice to the business on new products and services and proactively anticipating legal issues and identifying legal requirements.
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting agreements (including amendments) relating to the business and other service providers, including sub-custodian, sub-clearers and IT vendors.
- Identify and mitigate legal risk within the business by implementing appropriate legal controls and policies where necessary.
- Drafting legal disclaimers, reviewing incidents and providing legal advice in respect of good value claims.
- Developing and maintaining standard legal documentation for all products and services offered in Singapore taking into account local requirements and global standards.
- Keeping up to date with the regulatory and legal environment in Singapore and applying required changes to BNP Paribas Securities Services’ framework including standard documentation.
- Engaging and managing relationships with local external legal advisors on the BNP Paribas group panel.
- Providing reporting to BNP Paribas Securities Services’ Head of Legal Affairs Pacific, local BNP Paribas Securities Services Committees, and local management as and when required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 6 years post qualification experience in the financial services sector from a top tier law firm or alternatively from another custodian bank
- Ability to operate independently and to apply judgement and knowledge to various situations, including regulation evaluation and oversight of any subsequent implementation
- Legal technical knowledge and qualifications and will have awareness in industry and organisational standards and possess the ability to apply this knowledge in supporting the BNP Paribas group legal framework
- Familiar with the Singapore financial services legal environment and have a good understanding of banking and securities, futures and derivatives laws.
- Ability to anticipate and identify areas of focus or concern with regards to key risk and legal management
- Degree qualified in Singapore Law. Being also qualified in Malaysia Law would be an advantage
Technically specific qualifications or evidence of ongoing development for area of specialization
MS Word advanced user, Microsoft Outlook, MS PowerPoint efficient