eCommerce Application Production Engineer
Standard / Permanent
The role is within GM IT ESolutions eCommerce Application Production group responsible globally for technical support and project deliveries.
The Production Engineer will be part of a multi-disciplined, providing support to the production elements of the e-Commerce applications. The role is centred on application support, and requires a wide range of technical skills.
The Production Engineer main responsibilities are:
• Pro-actively monitor, manage and improve availability and performance of the production environments
(from presentation and application layers to middleware and databases)
• Provide main coverage in the “Follow The Sun” support model: perform regular checks and handover to
other support teams in Singapore and New York.
• Pro-actively manage the capacity of production applications
• Plan and implement application releases, load tests and configuration changes
• Customize production tools (monitoring, batch scheduling, backups etc.)
• Provide feedback and propose solutions to management on performance, capacity
The Production Engineer will also work with other teams to respond to incidents and resolve issues promptly,
often under pressure, to restore normal services to the business. Therefore, ability to be on call and provide
support out of hours is essential in addition to the early/late shifts.
As this is a production support role, focusing across a range of different technologies, candidates must possess the
aptitude and desire to learn.
Role Specific Technical Skills
Production experience across the following:
• System administration – Strong experience on Linux
• Application servers / middleware – Strong knowledge in configuring and supporting the following on WebSphere application server.
• Networks – good understanding of network principles and practical knowledge of load balancing technologies, as F5 Big-IP is essential
• Monitoring – Good and practical experience of some of the following preferable: Geneos, SiteScope, Introscope
• Scripting (Python, PERL, Shell, SQL....) and development skills for administration, monitoring and support tools.
• Test tools – practical experience of LoadRunner or Jmeter is desirable
• Knowledge of Capital Markets business and environments is essential Desirable IT Skills
• System administration – Exposure to windows servers is added advantage.
• Languages – exposure to JAVA and .Net applications is a plus
• Databases – exposure to or skills in SQL Server and Oracle
• Schedulers – exposure to or skills in Autosys
• Understanding of application lifecycle
• Appreciation of production processes, including change and release management
• Good incident and problem management skills, with knowledge of ITIL beneficial.
• Strong problem solving skills
• Good interpersonal skills and team player
• Good communication skills
• Client focused
• Attention to details
• Strong aptitude and interest in technology
Candidates must have atleast 5 years of experience in similar role, majority of which should have been gained within an eCommerce area. He/she must be experienced in providing multi-disciplined technical support as part of a team, and have practical knowledge of performance and capacity management from an application, database and network perspective.