Due Diligence Officer, Due Diligence, Hong Kong
Standard / Permanent
HK-Hong Kong (HK)-Hong Kong
About BNP Paribas in Asia Pacific (www.apac.bnpparibas)
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 15,000 employees* and a presence in 14 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 74 countries with more than 190,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business environment characterized by high pace and diversity with focus on creating valuable relations with our customers. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and also an excellent work environment where you're valued as part of our team!
* excluding partnerships
Within BNP Paribas Hong Kong, the Due Diligence Team’s objectives is to be the sole interface for clients going through the KYC due diligence onboarding or recertification process.
The team supports the Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) business which encompasses diverse métiers and products.
The team i responsible for 3 main activities:
1. Prioritization of on-boarding with additional focus on Tier 1 potential clients
2. Coordination of the whole process (Risk, Legal, Systems) and production of the KYC (Collection, Confirmation, and most importantly, analysis)
3. This team are also responsible for recertification, annual review and relevant client management processes
The responsibilities of this role will be diverse and varying, depending on work required to be actioned.
• Handle assigned Hong Kong new on-boarding requests (Work-In-Progress – WIP) and ensure management initiative is satisfactorily implemented which includes, but not limited to, the enforcement of proactive pipeline management policies (to improve the throughput and completion cycle-time of WIPs), completion of WIPs in meeting the set of KPIs, and management directives.
• Complete new on-boarding requests in accordance to relevant Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) which also makes reference to CIB KYC Procedure.
• Act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) with assigned Front-Office Business Unit(s) across Client Sector(s) and Product(s), Compliance and other support functions in relation to Due Diligence activities.
• Handle new on-onboarding requests in relation to Corporate Coverages, Commodity Finance, Investment Banking, Transaction Banking, Financial Institutional Coverages, Global Markets products [e.g. Equities, Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange, Commodities Index Trading (CIT), CIT Metals, CIT Repo, and Commodities Futures Trading].
• Work closely with Front-Office and prioritize the completion of WIPs according to ever changing demands, and deliver satisfactory results.
• Ensure timely escalation and own proposed course of actions to line management to address identified risks and blocking points during each WIP handling. Also, identify, analyze, report and explore proposed course of actions to line management in relation to production, policy and system issues.
• Develop good understanding of the assigned Front-Office Business Unit(s) and process related working knowledge in order to support the Front-Office Business Unit(s) effectively.
• Interact effectively with senior internal stakeholders and regional/global teams in a variety of BNP Paribas locations in APAC and beyond.
• Embrace continuous changes and challenges; handle various uprising initiatives and ad-hoc projects as assigned by line management for DDT.
• Contribute to the review, standardization and rollout of regional policies/procedures, KYC processes and systems as required (e.g.: in accordance with any policy update or system change, etc.) and work with relevant internal stakeholders to minimize impact and ensure smooth integration.
• Keep abreast with current compliance / AML regulations and KYC procedures, and keep management updated on any significant changes or issues.
• Actively promote and lead best practice in risk and compliance management.
• Coordinate with the offshore team and provide guidance where appropriate to resolve any quality and procedural issues.
• Provide effective back-up support to other team members as and required.
• Participate in ad-hoc projects (e.g. regulatory/operational/data quality, etc.) as directed by Line Management.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Well-developed interpersonal, problem-solving and influencing skills.
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• University graduate, preferably with at least 2 years relevant work experience.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong attention to detail with ability to produce accurate and quality work under tight deadlines and minimal supervision.
• Solid understanding of Corporate & Institutional Banking and Global Markets framework under International Financial Groups.
• Good understanding of Due Diligence and local Anti-Money Laundering requirements.
• Working knowledge in relation to Corporate Banking products [e.g. Cash/Deposit, Loan Syndication/Agency, Trade Finance, ECM/DCM, etc] and/or Global Markets products [e.g. Equities, Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange, Commodities Index Trading (CIT), CIT Metals, CIT Repo, and Commodities Futures Trading].
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
• Fluent in English (spoken and written), and preferably Chinese (Cantonese / Mandarin).
• Line management and staff coaching experience.
Candidates with strong potential but less than 2 years relevant work experience can be considered as Analyst.