Control Monitoring Group Finance Manager
Standard / Permanent
FINANCE ACCOUNTS ET MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Business Area Overview
BNP Paribas has a presence in 75 countries with more than 185,000 employees, including 145,000 in Europe. It ranks highly in its two core activities: Retail Banking & Services and Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB).
BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Bank is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. With nearly 20,000 employees in over 45 countries, CIB can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe, but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asia Pacific offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
The Control Monitoring Group (CMG) performs a key role in maintaining the quality of the accounting control environment that underpins the Finance reporting processes: Group Head Office reporting, Statutory reporting, Regulatory reporting and internal Performance Management reporting for the London platform.
The objective of the CMG team (Level 2 control) team is to provide independent assurance that controls over the accounting data is complete and accurate as required by the Group, CIB and local accounting control policies. This Level 2 control framework includes periodic detailed testing of the documented controls that underpin the London accounting ledger balances and specific testing/review of balances and processes in accordance with the BNP Paribas control policies.
London Finance operates a bespoke control tool (Imperium) that supports the monthly account justification / substantiation process and the detailed assessment of those accounts determined to have a higher risk profile. Regular reporting on control findings and issues is prepared for local, CIB and Group Finance management including quarterly reporting to Group Finance on the quality of the accounting control environment through Finance Accounting Control Tool.
Overall Job Purpose
The Head of Control Monitoring Group is responsible for maintaining & developing the process for Finance Level 2 evaluation and has a direct contribution to BNP Paribas operational permanent control framework.
• Manage CMG team: maintain and develop an effective team with resource and skills required to perform their responsibilities and coordinate with the offshored team
• Maintain & develop the process for Finance Level 2 evaluation and documentation of the Finance Control Framework ensuring it covers key controls for the UK Finance perimeter (as agreed with UK CFO) and is adapted to reflect business evolution (including new products/activities, offshoring, outsourcing, L2 reliance on other control functions …)
• Maintain an effective program of Level 2 review of controls in accordance with Group and CIB Finance & local policy
• Timely reporting of Level 2 controls assessment based on Level 2 program of controls review and escalation of significant issues; Coordination of the LFCC (London Finance Control Committee) and quarterly FACT reporting
• Procedures: maintain up-to-date and complete procedures for CMG processes
• Projects: for CMG remit ensure that CMG are properly engaged and contribute fully to the main phases (design, UAT and migration)
• Products & systems: specify and implement Level 2 Finance controls for new products/systems
• Provide Control guidance and advice on an ad hoc basis as required
• Direct contribution to BNP Paribas operational permanent control framework
• Any other duties as required
• Audit experience in an external firm (preference for Big 4 or equivalent)
• Accounting control experience
• Strong understanding of the control and reconciliations issues
• Qualified Accountant
• Practical experience analysing financial control issues
• Financial instrument / product knowledge
• Previous experience in a team management role
Essential Skills / Competencies
• Attention to detail
• Work effectively in a team.
• Communicate clearly and efficiently
• Build effective relationships at all levels
• Problem Solving / Analysis
• First class communication skills
• Team Work
• Planning and Organisation