Compliance Officer - Risk Reviews & Assurance
Standard / Permanent
COMPLIANCE AND PERMANENT CONTROL
BNP Paribas Overview
The BNP Paribas Group is a leader in banking and financial services, employing over 200,000 people across 80 countries and 5 continents. BNP Paribas Corporate & Investment Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. BNP Paribas CIB, with nearly 20,000 employees in over 50 countries, can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
Overall Job Purpose
We are seeking additional reviewers to join the Compliance Reviews team to help with the review programme and in particular annual reviews of the bank’s compliance with the Volcker rules and French Banking Law. The Compliance Reviews team will be responsible for carrying out the Volcker review for the EMEA territory across CIB in conjunction with review colleagues in the US and APAC.
This is a transversal role requiring coverage of all London based CIB businesses and functions as defined by the scope of review or investigatory activities.
- Carrying out Compliance reviews into the Volcker rule and French banking law as part of a global team;
- Carrying out further Compliance reviews as allocated either individually or as part of a team;
- Supporting the Compliance Reviews team in other projects such as conducting Compliance/Conduct Risk assessments and delivering the Compliance Control Plan;
- Providing management information and assisting with reporting;
- Contributing to other projects within the Compliance department
- Assisting the Head of Compliance Reviews and Team Leaders in undertaking the allocated program of themed and desk focused Compliance reviews across BNP Paribas’ UK Corporate and Institutional Banking activities, including Volcker Testing Programme;
- This will involve planning/scoping, testing, conducting interviews, drafting review reports with clear recommendations and following these up;
- Maintain appropriate records and work papers detailing the review work undertaken;
- Conducting Peer Reviews of other review files; .
- Assist in completing the periodic Compliance Risk Assessment of CIB business units in the Territory in support of the UK Head of Territory Compliance.
- Assist in the ongoing development and improvement of the London Compliance Risk Assessment Methodology in line with market practice and regulatory expectations.
- Liaison with relevant Compliance advisors to address substantive issues arising from Compliance desk reviews. Ensure these issues are dealt with in a timely fashion and receive sufficient business focus.
- Inform Compliance Management or the Head of Compliance Territory of all significant and urgent compliance matters that require such escalation.
- Undertake specific Compliance investigations resulting from regulatory enquiry or as a result of any internal Whistleblowing procedures or other sources as directed.
- Complete various Compliance project work as required.
- Undertake periodic Compliance Control testing set out in the annual Compliance Control Plan.
- Maintain the Compliance Risk Assessment for Operational Permanent Control Complete various Compliance project work as required.
- Complete various Compliance project work as required.
- Assist where required in the provision of risk data in order to feed the risk assessment process conducted in Paris.
- Assist in the co-ordination of the Top 3 Risks process for Group reporting.
- Help prepare periodic MI for senior management.
- Contribute to the set up, implementation and operation of Compliance risk management tools, designed by Group and CIB C&C Functions.
- Assist with the integration of results from the London Financial Crime team Risk Assessment into the London process and the continued coverage of Financial Crime issues (as agreed with the UK MLRO) in review activities.
- In collaboration with the Markets Advisory Team, and the London Control Room ensure continued coverage of Market Conduct issues in review activities.
- Co-ordinate and Undertake regulatory and internal investigations as assigned by Compliance management.
- Contribute to the implementation of all relevant compliance-related Group / CIB policies and procedures locally in collaboration with the Regional Heads of Compliance / Heads of Compliance Territory and the Global Heads of Compliance
- Assisting in the Management of the Compliance department's ongoing relationship with Metier and territory 2OPC teams and the Internal Audit function.
- Provide any necessary cover for Compliance Monitoring and Electronic Surveillance as directed by Head of Compliance Review.
- Assist in the production of Management Information for UK or Paris as required.
- Conduct ad hoc projects as defined by Head of Compliance Review or Compliance Management.
Skills and Experience
Experience of conducting Compliance desk & thematic reviews and/or Compliance Risk Assessments;
Experience of Volcker testing and/or on Dodd-Frank title VII, FATCA would be desirable;
Good knowledge of the UK regulatory sourcebooks particularly in relation to CIB activities;
Good CIB product knowledge and experience of CIB front-office activities and dealing with senior business management;
Excellent organisational & planning skills, to be able to manage and control own work schedules to tight deadlines;
Excellent report-writing and communication skills and a record of delivery.
Good team player
Professional demeanour and gravitas
Good investigative skills & tenacious approach to work
Outgoing and good networker
Flexibility and ability to learn new skills
Good IT skills including Excel, Powerpoint and Word