Chennai Position: Senior Support Analyst/Tech Lead - Production Support + IB Domain - IRG-CRD e-Trading
Standard / Permanent
Senior Support Analyst/Tech Lead – Production Support + IB Domain – IRG/CRD e-Trading
Department and team Overview
FI IT APS EM provides business-aligned production services to support the Global Markets.
These services range from maintaining and improving the availability, integrity, performance and
Capacity of Electronic Markets platforms, to providing and developing governance of process and
Application Production team eTrading team provides application production for all components running
On eTrading platform globally (more than 500 servers - Windows, Linux or Unix).
The team also manages connectivity to multiple external trading platforms (CME, Reuters, EBS, Hotspot, Currenex,) and a FIX connectivity platform accessed by multiple external clients. Supported
systems are mainly installed in London, New York, Tokyo and Singapore and most of them live 24/5.
The role is within FI IT APS EM Application Production group responsible globally for technical
support and project deliveries.
The Production Engineer will be part of a multi-disciplined, providing support to the production
elements of the Electronic Trading applications. The role is centred on application production, and
requires a wide range of technical skills.
Systems are complex so as part of support activities the range of technical skills involved is wide.
All team members are expected to quickly develop, or already have, a good understanding of Fixed
Income eTrading systems. Each engineer in the team has applications and technologies allocated to
them and they are expected to be, or quickly become experts in these areas. Areas include but not
limited to: In-house pricing application for FX products, algorithmic trading components, STP,
monitoring, alerting, connectivity and server build.
Out of hours work is regularly required, particularly at weekends. On-call support is also provided by
The Production Engineer main responsibilities are:
• Responsible for efficient resolution of issues to minimize impact to clients and internal users
including liaising team members, management, vendors, other internal IT teams.
• Perform activities related to implementation and rollout for upgrades of existing services.
• Pro-actively monitor, manage and improve availability and performance of the production
environments (from presentation and application layers to middleware and databases)
• Provide main coverage in the “Follow The Sun” support model: perform regular checks and
handover to other support teams in Singapore and New York.
• Pro-actively manage the capacity of production applications
• Plan and implement application releases, load tests and configuration changes
• Customize production tools (monitoring, batch scheduling, backups etc.)
• Provide feedback and propose solutions to management on performance, capacity
The Production Engineer will also work with other teams to respond to incidents and resolve issues
promptly, often under pressure, to restore normal services to the business. Therefore, ability to be
on call and provide support out of hours is essential in addition to the early/late shifts.
As this is a production support role, focusing across a range of different technologies, candidates
must possess the aptitude and desire to learn.
Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must have a minimum of 6 years of experience in a production support role, ideally in an electronic Trading context. He/she must be experienced in providing multidiscipline
technical support as part of a team, and have practical knowledge of performance and
capacity management from an application, database and network perspective.
Role Specific Technical Skills
Production experience across the following:
• System administration – Strong knowledge on Linux/Unix systems with ability to tune
operating systems for optimum performance. Good knowledge on windows
• Strong all-around IT background and proven experience in electronic trading markets on
• Scripting (Python, PERL, Shell, SQL....) and development skills for administration, monitoring
and support tools.
• Databases – exposure to or skills in SQL Server and Oracle
• ECN connectivity
• Good network and firewall infrastructure understanding.
• Good understanding of multicast messaging (ideally in a Tibco Rendezvous environment).
• Ability to analyse network captures
• Knowledge of Capital Markets business and environments is essential
Desirable IT Skills
• Languages – exposure to Java and/or C/C++ based applications is a plus
• Schedulers – exposure to scheduler tools
• Understanding of application lifecycle
• Appreciation of production processes, including change and release management
• Good incident and problem management skills, with knowledge of ITIL beneficial
• Understanding of the electronic FX trading - market operations and business flows would
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Team leadership
• Good interpersonal skills and team player
• Enthusiasm and be committed to work.
• Able to work with minimal supervision and to use own initiative.
• Good time management and co-ordination skills.
• Good communication skills
• Client focused
• Attention to details
• Strong aptitude and interest in technology
• Flexible and adaptable to changing environment. Quickly learn new systems/products
•Quickly learn new systems/products