BNP Paribas Overview
The BNP Paribas Group is a leader in banking and financial services, employing over 200,000 people across 80 countries and 5 continents. BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. BNP Paribas CIB, with nearly 20,000 employees in over 50 countries, can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
BNP Paribas CIB has made client relations the cornerstone of its strategy, with the primary aims of developing long-term relationships with our clients and meeting all their needs by making available the Bank’s entire product range. Coverage works with all business lines to develop and enhance existing client relationships.
Overall Purpose of the Role
To assist Senior Members of the Coverage team with the day to day management and marketing activities of a selection of BNP Paribas’s London top Strategic Clients.
The candidate will report to the Banker.
1) Industry and client awareness:
• To be aware of all impending client events (AGM’s, interim and annual results presentations, senior board members presentations, etc.) and company news flow (brokers / analysts notes) on an ad hoc basis
• Regularly consider our clients capital structure in the context of strategic events/ capital market developments and develop an understanding of rating agency criteria and methodology
• Absorb, interpret and analyse news flow/ strategic developments/ market data in order to provide a “view” / analysis / business or marketing reaction and consider this in the context of the BNPP client agenda (passing on piles of paper does not meet this key requirement of the role)
• To be aware of relevant industry news flow / events
• To watch webcasts / presentations (either live or by close of business that day), producing a short bullet point summary of the key issues, and circulating key or relevant research within a day or so afterwards
• To provide a “view” / analysis where relevant of that news flow
2) Support for the Banker / MDs:
• Awareness of the client agenda. Emanating from Client Action Plan (CAP) and evolving as the year progresses (this should not simply be an annual process and needs regular review)
• Display strong credit skills and be able to support the credit process between the Credit Analysts and Risk Department
• Aware of the credit constraints or credit strategy towards a client (being aware of how it is evolving, data awareness and regular monitoring)
• Responsible for disseminating / communicating this information across the bank to other metiers and within Coverage generally
• Being fully aware of the strategic nature of the client dialogue and understanding the marketing strategy employed to exploit this for business generation
• Supporting MDs/ Banker in originating business opportunities with focus on both Transactional and Advisory business
• Ability to project manage transactions during implementation phase
3) Project Development:
• Under the direction of the MDs/ Banker the co-ordination and delivery of defined pieces of research to assist the strategic marketing effort
• Development of ideas and strategies sometimes in conjunction with other metier
• Ability to show independent thought and initiative in assisting this process with flair and insight.
4) Presentations / Pitchbooks:
• Pulling together presentations on an individual and cross metier basis
• Writing / compiling advisory presentations with the belief that they could present the material to the client – with the ultimate goal of being part of the origination team
• Supporting the origination effort prior to pitching
• Clarity of thought and layout required as well as presentational skills
• Preparation of CAP’s, briefing notes etc supporting the MD/Senior Banker. CAP’s to be kept up to date throughout the year.
• Calculation of profitability (RAROC / CEVA)
• Supporting KYC process and other due diligence / compliance related tasks
• Maintaining databases, client data monitoring. Client first to be updated weekly to reflect live opportunities in the pipe and deals closed/lost
• Budgets, risk / return data
• Preparing call reports where appropriate which reflect a knowledge and understanding of the client agenda.
• Enter into the Strategic client team culture and become an active part of the marketing team. Showing commitment to progress, learn and develop
• Ultimately looking to develop contacts and dialogue across all product groups
• Familiarity with spreadsheet analysis and financial modelling would be an asset
Skills and Experience
• Ability to convey ideas clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally
• Ability to manage multiple tasks / projects at once across different clients
• Responsible, proactive, commercially-minded, imaginative, trustworthy, accurate, organised
• Computer-literate (excellent working knowledge of power point and Excel), able to carry out high level modelling of company financials
• Comfortable in dealing with clients
• Resourceful approach to conducting research
• Able to deal firmly but tactfully with other business areas
• Understand how the bank works, where to find information & collect revenue data
• Willing and able to improve detailed knowledge of products
• Willing and able to undertake regulatory and professional training (eg, FCA, ACT)
• Excellent educational background to at least undergraduate level, quantitative disciplines are preferred
• Proven work experience in a similar role and those with previous corporate banking experience will be preferred
• Experience with Credit risk analysis is strongly desirable
• Applicants must be able to demonstrate strong commercial acumen and awareness
• Excellent command of the English Language
Drive for results - Delivers high quality work
Corporate role model, integrity & ethics - Acts with discipline and high ethical standards
Team player & cross cultural awareness - Works effectively in a team. Collaborates and shares information and solutions with colleagues, with other teams and stakeholders
Client focus - Sees stakeholders as well as external clients as “customers”
Essential personal skills
Diligence - Displays dedication and prioritises problems by considering the impact on the business; identifies quick-wins
Resilience - Stays calm and positive, controls his/her emotions in conflict or any situation of intense stress (due to market, time or client pressure).
Communication (Active listener and clear communicator) - Communicates clearly in both native and English languages. Communicates pro-actively with management, escalating issues as necessary.
Innovation - Thinks laterally to identify other sources of useful information and sees ways around obstacles and barriers.