Assistant Vice President – Policy Oversight Specialist
Standard / Permanent
About BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking:
Fully integrated in the BNP Paribas Group, BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading provider of solutions to two client franchises: corporates and institutionals, and operates across EMEA (Europe Middle East Africa), APAC (Asia Pacific) and the Americas. The bank is a global leader in Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives. It is a top European house in Equity Capital Markets and it has leading franchises in Specialized Financing. In Securities Services, it is a top five House worldwide. BNP Paribas CIB strives to service the global economy by providing solutions to its clients in financing (ECM, DCM, specialized financing), flow banking (trade finance and cash management), financial advisory (M&A, project finance), global markets (interest rates, credit, foreign exchange, equity derivatives), risk management, and securities services.
Corporate Governance is one of three departments in a rapidly expanding Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs team (“PPRA”) for BNPP’s IHC and Wholesale operations in the U.S. BNPP desires to be “best in class” in terms of corporate governance, both to ensure sound decision-making and management of risk and to meeting rising regulatory expectations. The objective of the Corporate Governance division is support IHC management and BNPP’s wholesale operations (including the Regional and broker/dealer boards) in achieving this goal.
The Corporate Governance team will work closely with its sister departments in PPRA, (i) Regulatory Liaison and Examination Management and (ii) Strategic Regulatory Analysis and Implementation. It will also work closely with IHC and wholesale executive management, business lines and control functions (including Compliance, Risk and Legal). It will also liaise as necessary with the Corporate Secretarial function for the IHC.
The Policy & Procedures Oversight function will be a sub-group within the Corporate Governance department. This centralized function will provide transversal oversight over the processes of developing, approving and storing the policies, procedures and other governance-related documentation for
- IHC Board, its Board Committees and Sub-committees
- BNPP NA Board, Broker/Dealer Boards, Board Committees and Sub-Committees
- CIB, IP and all Regional Functions supporting them – their policies
- Collectively, the above referred to as BNPP US
Excludes responsibility for BWE and BOW policies, which are managed by BWE/BOW teams.
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
The Policy Oversight Manager will be an experienced Assistant Vice President, reporting to the Director of Policy Oversight.
The Policy Oversight Manager will be responsible for:
- Advising and liaising with policy management teams within the bank’s major functions and business lines on the requirements of the policy on policies throughout BNPP US, and its implementation.
- Preparing and maintaining a “policy on policies,” which will:
- Define the various types and levels of governance documentation at BNPP US (e.g., policies, operating procedures, desk-top procedures, committee charters, programs, frameworks, control lists of committees, high level organization charts, etc.)
- Define the required approvals for various governance documentation
- Define the required review and update schedule for governance documentation
- Maintaining a library of the current versions and recent past versions of approved policies, programs, frameworks, and operating procedures
- Maintaining and managing the update schedule for various governance documentation
- Conducting quality control over governance documentation to ensure adherence to the policy on policies, and internal consistency across BNPP US, as appropriate. (The subject matter expert within a given business or function remains responsible for the completeness and all content of the policies and procedures under his/her jurisdiction.)
- Managing significant projects related to the development of this policy function
- Liaising with Bank of the West on all same matters
- Paralegal and/or policy writing experience not required, but a very strong plus
- Outstanding organizational and logic skills
- Strong problem solving and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong editing skills
- Strong Power Point presentation preparation skills
- Knowledge of a bank’s organizational and operational set-up
- Project Management
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated
- Team player
- An appreciation of evolving regulatory expectations
Many different types of experience (e.g., legal, audit, compliance, business line, public accounting or law firm from outside BNPP) could provide a strong foundation for this role. However, the person must have sufficient experience and stature to be credible and effective in dealing with managers and a diverse range of stakeholders.
The Bank also is looking for an individual that will enjoy being part of a rapidly growing division in a bank that is positioning itself for the future. Other attributes that will be important for the success of an individual in this position include: (i) flexibility and an ability to adapt to change, (iii) ability to positively manage stressful situations, (iv) a collaborative working style that promotes inclusiveness, trust and teamwork.
FINRA Registrations Required:
- Not Applicable