Assistant Vice President – Payments Team Leader
Standard / Permanent
BNP Paribas Group
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 75 countries, with more than 189,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking
Fully integrated in the BNP Paribas Group, BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading provider of solutions to two client franchises: corporates and institutionals, and operates across EMEA (Europe Middle East Africa), APAC (Asia Pacific) and the Americas. The bank is a global leader in Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives. It is a top European house in Equity Capital Markets and it has leading franchises in Specialized Financing. In Securities Services, it is a top five House worldwide. BNP Paribas CIB strives to service the global economy by providing solutions to its clients in financing (ECM, DCM, specialized financing), flow banking (trade finance and cash management), financial advisory (M&A, project finance), global markets (interest rates, credit, foreign exchange, equity derivatives), risk management, and securities services.
PCSNA Payment Services is responsible for all the processing of incoming and outgoing wire transfers in USD, and Canadian funds as well as a variety of other currencies. The area provides a full array of Cash Management Services on an around-the-clock basis to the Bank’s customers.
The Operations Team Leader is responsible for overseeing the transaction processing in one or more of the company’s internal operations to support domestic and international customers for payment and Check Processing service functions. Also, contributes directly to the Permanent Operational Control directives by meeting predefined business objectives and service level agreements
- Supervise the daily Funds Transfer, ACH, Funds Control and Check Processing Units that is responsible for all funds transfers and check clearing activities via local Clearing system and SWIFT.
- Ensure all activities are processed within the defined processing standards and with strict adherence to prescribed cut-off time and service level agreements.
- Ensure trading desk is provided with timely and accurate Funds Control position figures at all times, while acting as liaison between Payment Services, the Trading Group and Back Office.
- Manage, monitor and maintain the money position of the bank.
- Maintain the highest possible standards of quality while minimizing risk to both the bank as well as its customers.
- Ensure prompt response to all Audit points, close and timely follow-up on all action points and provide prompt response to all Processing questions.
- Awareness of daily work levels and achieves set standards and goals.
- Identify and take prompt action on priority items.
- Ensure adherence to all external regulatory and internal policy guidelines as dictated by the position.
- Performing other support operations functions as required.
- Participating in the development and implementation of processes that improve efficiency and enhance team productivity.
- Mentoring agents, encouraging their professional growth and knowledge enhancement
- Manage team by motivating, informing and delegating responsibility to its members. Evaluate them and suggest career opportunities; foster a healthy, positive and constructive working environment.
- Identify the training needs of the team and arrange for ongoing education to meet those needs.
- Coordinate workflow across teams by utilizing the payment system. Monitor activities and effectiveness of agents. Enforcing both bank and departmental policies and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of the proper handling of checks and deposits, and the ability to recognize irregular, suspicious transactions or other suspicious activities/actions.
- Oversee operations of the Receive Section that is responsible to qualify incoming funds, reconcile customers anticipated receipts against actual funds and do all necessary exception reporting.
- Monitor and record all intra-day activity as received from the Traders, then compare position with the Payment Services to ensure Back Office has communicated all the necessary payment instructions.
- Control the daily close of the CHIPS system to ensure that the settlement of CHIPS is accomplished in a timely and safety manner.
- Verifies all positions are in agreement, and proves to the real time balances (FED, BONY,LVTS etc.).
- Verifies balances left in the correspondent accounts are in accordance with the Traders mandates.
- Reviews Compliance stopped payments/messages for potential violation.
- Works closely with account officers to ensure that the customer's payment issues are handled in a timely manner.
- Perform U.S./Canadian Position on a rotational basis.
- Intra-day system proofs, same day investigations.
- Responsible for End of Day Proof and reconciliations.
- Support FRB/CHIPS/LVTS /D.R. contingency test
- Conduct semi-annual staff reviews and year end appraisals
3 - 5 years’ experience in the field of banking operations.
Degree from accredited college/university.
Strong understanding of Funds Transfer operations and the regulations, which govern it, (this will include both CHIPS, Fed wire, ACH and LVTS.)
The candidate will need strong supervisory capabilities (or similar role) including good written and oral communications skills.
Strong preference for previous banking experience with foreign exchange
Knowledge of local clearing systems, SWIFT and the various formatting issues associated with them.
Concern for Quality/Accuracy and strong Customer Service Orientation
Industry Knowledge: Product knowledge of Wire Transfer and Check processing business. This should be complemented with an understanding of Accounting and Regulatory back group.
Extended hours/holidays may be required at times to meet operational needs.
Ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
Detail orientated, self-motivated and ability to multi-task.
Ability to work in a high volume time sensitive environment.
Initiative , autonomy and leadership skills.
The candidate must be PC literate with a strong working knowledge of Excel, Word and Power point.
FINRA Registrations Required: None