Wealth Management- Head of the Credit
United States-California-San Francisco
Wealth Management is GROWING at Bank of the West!
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Leads and oversees the credit and lending solutions offering for the Wealth Management Group (WMG) and the Ultra High Net Worth market segment of BOTW. Manages the overall credit/lending offering, including business strategy, product development, credit training and loan pricing. Responsible for ongoing portfolio risk analysis & reporting, the development and use of tools and methodologies, and providing hands-on leadership on special projects/initiatives. In close cooperation with Compliance, Risk and the WMG Group Head, establishes and manages policies, procedures & processes to insure credit portfolio quality consistent with the Bank's credit risk appetite for the business. Ensures that WMG's lending activities are performed in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and best practices. Represents the Bank as appropriate in its relationships with major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies and similar groups.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops and implements the programs, architecture and platforms of WMG credit offerings, implementing solid credit/risk practices and policies; Ensures WMG actively manages risk in a rapid growth environment
- Drives focused strategy, across multiple bank disciplines, to deliver appropriate credit solutions for WMG clients (regular interaction with Compliance, Credit and Counterparty Risk, Legal, Operational Risk, NFG/WMCS, etc.)
- Principal interaction with supporting third party groups (such as NFG’s Wealth Management Credit Services) to expand product set, ensure sound underwriting practices, competitive pricing and adherence to service level agreements to achieve customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Manages Custom Credit solutions within the defined Risk/Compliance framework.
- Develops, implements and maintains Custom Lending options within a Risk/Compliance framework. Expands products prudently to deliver custom lending ability within risk tolerances
- Directs efforts of team that underwrites/recommends/approves larger, more complex loan offerings, including Custom Credit, based on loan size or aggregate debt to bank, per Four Eyes/DLA policies
- Creates, updates and modifies bank Loan Policies as they pertain to WMG Lending. Directly responsible for Investment Lines of Credit (ILOCs) and Custom Credit product and pricing. Develops, installs and executes policies and processes to support the unique borrowing needs of WMG clients
- Recommends credit transactions, on behalf of WMG, for approval by 1st and 2nd line Risk units. For highly complex and sophisticated credits, may directly analyze pertinent financial and credit data and provide loan structuring guidance.
- Ensures quality control and risk management of relationships managed. Identifies, classifies, and monitors problems or potential problem loans in compliance with the internal credit review policy. Manages, tracks and monitors receipt of financial reporting and covenant compliance certificates.
- Partners with Consumer Real Estate Services (CRES) team to provide appropriate sales staffing structure and support for WMG’s Private Client Advisor’s mortgage efforts.
- Drives WMG credit portfolio growth and profitability through appropriate product and pricing structures and initiatives. Gathers market intelligence so that market opportunities may be capitalized on as they occur and the effects of competitive activity may be minimized.
- Works closely with Wealth Management to integrate efforts to fulfill cross-business mission statement and value proposition. Supports theWMG PCAs/MLs/RMs efforts to develop new business with a focus on credit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project teams multiple job areas.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Requires 12-15 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Finance or related Quantitative Field- Required
- Master's/Advanced Degree- Business/Finance or related field- Preferred
- Thorough knowledge of commercial lending, the financial and investment services needs and activities, products and services of the high net worth client segment, including regulatory and legal issues.
- Significant experience with middle market commercial loan origination and credit risk issues.
- Understanding of advanced quantitative risk management models.
- Solid understanding of risk systems and processes; familiarity with risk management methodologies.
- Solid demonstrated understanding of operational risk concepts and practices, product, marketing and credit processes as they relate to risk management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in clear and concise manner to all levels of the organization.
- Able to work autonomously and/or part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong planning/organizational/prioritization abilities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with database and statistical software programs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.