Underwriter- Business Banking, SME (Custom)
United States-Colorado-Greenwood Village
Small / Mid Business
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for reviewing and making informed decisions on assessing moderate to complex commercial loans. Advance expertise on commercial loans.
Essential Job Functions
1. Requests and evaluates all financial statements (business and personal tax returns, fiscal year-end and interim statements and personal financial statements). Identifies recurring and non-recurring income/expenses. Comprehends all schedules, notes, and K-1's. Understands and adjusts for differences between cash and accrual accounting methods. Analyzes related documents including; receivable aging, purchase agreements, invoices, lease agreements, brokerage statements, etc.
2. Identifies credit strengths, weaknesses, industry risk, and anomalies that lead to further investigation. Prepares thorough credit summary and communicates decisions in a timely manner.
3. Collaborates with Business Banking Officers and Branch Staff, communicating the reasoning for a particular decision, serving as an expert credit resource answering questions and providing guidance on financial matters, collateral, and loan structure.
4. Identifies problem loans and subsequently determines potential restructure and credit enhancement opportunities in the interest of either retaining the asset as a performing loan or recommending a transfer to Special Assets.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree - Required
· Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have practical knowledge of project management.
· Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience.
· In-depth working knowledge of information and data processing systems. Proficient in evaluating business and credit reports
· In-depth working knowledge of Bank of the West Policy and Procedures
· In-depth understanding of various regulatory compliance policy and procedure including but not limited to Fair Lending, OFAC, Flood, Regulation O, etc.
· Meet and/or exceed our Service Level Agreement commitment
· Proficiency in MS Office and other system applications
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Proficient organizational skills
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.