Sr SME Credit Portfolio Officer
Sales and Sales Related
Job Description Summary
- Responsible for contributing to credit portfolio quality and processing of credit requests with extensive focus on credit relationship portfolio management and credit activities with the relationship management team.
- Analyzes, underwrites mainly green light memos and recommends decisions on credit requests generated by Relationship Managers from commercial companies.
- Assists the line in meeting production goals by creating proper structure of credit submissions and may act as a liaison for the Business Banking Centers between Underwriting and Credit Administration.
- Monitors, tracks and manages the credit portfolio with the goal of minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy, while keeping the Regional Manager current on any credit issues that require attention.
- May manage a couple of complex relationships.
- Credit Portfolio Officer will typically oversee two Business Banking Center regions.
- Overall activities will assist the line in meeting production goals and maintaining quality portfolio management.
Essential Job Functions
- May act as a team leader overseeing credit activities of other officers to ensure that current and potential customers are properly analyzed to minimize credit losses. Oversees the work of others, including preparation of credit requests by training less-experienced credit staff, allocating and monitoring work.
- Supports unit's growth and profitability through assisting in the underwriting of credit requests and proactively monitoring credit portfolio.
- Together with Relationship Manager, takes primary responsibility for managing credit needs of a portfolio of commercial banking relationships providing consultative underwriting advice, credit analysis and on-gong monitoring of credit products and services to meet customer's needs and minimize credit losses to the Bank.
- Develops innovative credit solutions to meet customer and prospect credit needs.
- Works closely with other departments (e.g. Underwriting, Credit Administration, Cash Management, Capital Markets, Equipment Leasing, Trade Finance) and other major areas of the Bank to manage the risk of complex financial products and services.
- Ensures development and preparation of effective proposals for presentation to existing and potential customers.
- Participates, oversees and assists in the preparation of credit requests, recommending credit facilities. Ensures credit facilities and transactions are properly structured, priced and documented.
- Ensures quality control and risk management of relationships managed. Identifies, classifies, and monitors problems or potential problem loans in compliance with the internal credit review policy. Directly, or through credit officers or analysts, tracks and monitors receipt of financial reporting and covenant compliance reports.
- Interacts with Underwriting, Credit Administration, Appraisal Group, Legal and other related Bank personnel regarding issues of credit quality, appropriate compensation for risk, as well as new business and related trends.
- Views credit quality as a personal obligation; exhibits independent judgment; ensures balanced loan presentations; responsible for on-going account monitoring; proactive in problem detection/resolution; maintains balance between growth and credit quality.
- May act as a specialist for the Bank in specific industry. Keeps current on economic and other issues impacting industry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Over ten years of directly related experience.
- Relationship Management experience preferred.
- Administrative/Technical Skills.
- Excellent knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Excellent knowledge and ability to analyze financial statements, tax returns and cash flow.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
- Excellent working knowledge of other software used for analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance required.
- Master's/Advance Degree in Finance preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.