Sales and Sales Related
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the sourcing, securing, developing, and retaining profitable business banking relationships within the assigned region. Primary focus is on finding new business opportunities to sell the Bank’s products and services and retaining and expanding existing relationships. Responsible for contributing to the assigned Region’s credit portfolio quality and processing of requests for credit extension, ensuring credit facilities are properly structured, priced and documented. Maintains and grows current relationships by presenting new lending opportunities and cross selling business and personal banking products to existing clients. Takes primary responsibility as the assigned officer for a portfolio of the most complex business banking or community market commercial relationships. May act in a lead capacity over Associate Relationship Managers and Relationship Managers providing guidance and supporting work flow. This position is the most experienced level of Relationship Manager job family and is typically responsible for the largest and most complex business banking and community market commercial relationships as applicable to the line of business.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as primary contact with assigned prospective and current customers for all of the financial, banking, and investment counseling needs. Primary focus is on finding new business opportunities to sell the Bank's products and services. Conducts interviews with applicants to thoroughly understand current and prospective customer's needs and their financial situation to market and sell additional Bank products and services. Visits applicants at their place of business to verify and better assess their current situation and future needs.
- Identifies business needs and corresponding sales opportunities bank-wide and actively promotes ways to increase customer reliance on bank products and services, capitalizing on the unique and comprehensive capabilities of the bank. This would include Deposit Products, Cash Management, Trade Services, Capital Markets products, loan products and personal banking products and services.
- Obtains financial statements, tax returns, and other credit information and maintains individual credit files for all existing customers. Conducts analysis of pertinent credit information and/or credit checks.
- Works closely with central underwriting teams for new credit requests and renewals ensuring that all relevant financial and non-financial information is available to the underwriter. Generally underwrites new relationship credit requests for approval.
- Manages existing portfolio and stays informed on their condition is aware of developing trends in the market which may impact credit quality. Works closely with centralized underwriting and portfolio management teams to ensure responsiveness.
- Manages all communications with customer related to credit and non-credit issues. Works with commercial documentation department and Business Credit Management team in the review and negotiation of loan documents. Maintains assigned annual goals for portfolio maintenance, portfolio growth, and new business development, and will be ranked among peers on the Division Scorecard.
- Ensures job duties are performed within established BOW controls, risk, and audit protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School - Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Finance - Required
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business or Finance - Preferred
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have deep knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Solid understanding of underwriting and analysis for small and mid-size companies of all complexities.
- High degree of comfort and familiarity with use and application of commercial lending principles
- Active understanding and ongoing use of Touchpoint, electronic underwriting systems and other enterprise level systems.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.