Sr Compliance Officer, Volcker Program
United States-California-San Francisco
Description – External
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values-straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Reports directly to the Volcker Compliance Officer and is responsible for coordinating efforts related to the Volcker Rule enhanced compliance program for Bank of the West including policies and procedures, training, internal controls, management framework, independent testing, CEO attestation and other requirements of the rule. Responsible for the Volcker Compliance Program development and administration, which will require working closely with applicable policies, procedures and standards of BNPP and the IHC. Creates and manages status reports and project management tools to ensure progress against due dates, deliverables and objectives.
1. Helps develop, revise and recommend policies and procedures throughout the enterprise to establish and maintain an enhanced compliance program under the Volcker Rule.
2. Implements Volcker Rule enhanced compliance program, including maintenance of internal controls to comply with the rule.
3. Analyzes changes to the Volcker Rule and associated guidance and interpretations and modify the enhanced compliance program accordingly.
4. Works with the business units on implementation of the enhanced compliance program.
5. Coordinates independent testing exams conducted by the Compliance Independent Testing Team and the Inspections Group.
6. Serves as the Secretary of the Volcker Rule Subcommittee of the Executive Compliance Committee.
7. Contributes to internal reports and governance reporting required within the Bank.
8. Maintains Volcker SharePoint site in accordance with bank recordkeeping policy.
9. Acts as the subject matter expert on the Volcker Rule and other compliance matters as assigned from time to time.
10. Assists the Volcker Compliance Officer with other compliance projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Juris Doctorate preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in a law firm, consulting firm or the financial services industry. Alternative: Combination of education and experience Master’s/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Excellent business writing skills essential
- Knowledge of banking regulations and financial institution compliance subject matter and issues
- In-depth analysis, clear writing, strong communication and relationship management skills
- Organizational and project management capabilities
- General practical experience in banking, compliance, finance and risk management
- Strong reporting and presentation skills (MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Strong work ethic and Compliance mindset; Integrity and an ability to work autonomously