What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an
environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers.
Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
This is a 2nd Line of Defense Compliance position that is responsible for partnering with the Business Units, assessing the BSA/AML and Sanctions risk and control profile, advising, monitoring and challenging core compliance program components; ensuring compliance with regulatory risks; managing risk in a transparent manner; and monitoring the adequacy of controls.
Essential Job Functions
1. Develops and conducts enterprise BSA/AML and Sanctions risk assessments to evaluate the risk and control profile of the bank.
2. Implement data driven policy, strategy and risk management practices.
3. Advises and guides Business Units on regulatory, policy, and compliance process requirements to ensure compliance with new or existing regulations and best practices.
4. Advises management on risk assessment processes and provides guidance in design and development of processes and controls to manage risks.
5. Partners with business line team members to ensure timely identification, mitigation, resolution and reporting/escalation of existing and emerging compliance risks and issues.
6. Provides expertise, oversight, guidance, and advices on regulatory requirements that affect the Business Unit and oversees the Business Unit compliance implementation efforts.
7. Works with the areas of the Business Lines affected by changing laws, regulations, or policies to ensure the appropriate changes are timely implemented.
8. Advises and consults on proposed new products, services, and initiatives with regard to compliance obligations and corresponding compliance risks, and mitigating controls. Reviews/identifies regulatory impact, and approves recommended controls.
9. Advises on the design of the Business Lines QC/QA processes, monitors and challenges execution of QA/QC, assesses and identifies weaknesses, and escalates issues as appropriate.
Other Job Duties
· Conducts periodic risk-based monitoring to ensure that key compliance processes in the Business Lines are conducted in a timely and well-controlled fashion and provides reports as appropriate.
· Provides input in design of business management information (MI) reporting to incorporate compliance risk metrics, monitors metrics and escalates matters as appropriate.
· Reviews and advises on Business Lines compliance-related training materials, assignments, and delivery.
· Assists in preparation for regulatory examinations, advises on remediation and Action Plan design to address regulatory finding and tracks timely remediation efforts of the regulatory issues.
· Collaborate across the Compliance community to communicate a comprehensive view or compliance risk to management, assists in the implementation of robust compliance monitoring/surveillance programs.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· BS Degree required
· Prior experience working with regulatory agencies, including OCC, FDIC, CFPB, or state agencies.
· 7 yrs compliance, risk, internal audit, or regulatory experience in the banking industry
· BSA/AML/Sanctions or related Governance, Oversight and Risk Assessment
· Strong communication and collaboration skills, including the ability to work effectively with others at all levels across the organization
· Strong knowledge of general banking with an understanding of deposit, lending and alternative investment products
· Strong knowledge of assigned laws and regulations.
· Strong time management, project management and independent operator
· Strong interpersonal skills for coordination/liaison functions.
· Strong writing skills for composition of reports.
· Advanced Excel and data analytics (SQL, R) and experience with visual analytics is strongly desired
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco