Senior Oracle DBA
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
As a Senior Oracle DBA you will be working with Bank of The West Engineering and Operation teams to develop, manage, govern and maintain enterprise Oracle databases. This position is expected to have complete hands on as well and lead day-today activities as required.
You are a technology expert who loves being in the center of the action, and you will routinely manage complex software and systems issues ranging from distributed change propagation on live serving systems, to designing and deploying cost-aware database systems. Also, should work closely with application support/development teams, and the infrastructure teams in maintaining a reliable environment around systems hardware and operating systems, server software.
Essential Job Functions
- Design, architect, and build databases based application systems from business requirements to planning and deploying test and production systems that are completely available and highly scalable
- Automate and perfect operational DBA duties which will include installation, database upgrades, patching, environment cloning, implementing backup/recovery and monitoring procedures, capacity planning and site failover/switchover.
- Interface with clients, network, hardware and system operations teams to resolve problems with application/database systems in a timely manner.
- Follow change management process and participate in related meetings.
Responsible for managing Development, Test, QA and Production databases and implementing future Oracle enhancements to meet the business needs of the end users.
Monitor database health - availability, reliability, performance, capacity planning, server clustering, replication, re-indexing. Tune system to ensure maximum system efficiency and 100% system availability. Resolve any problems that arise with the database
Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans and procedures during bi-annual Disaster Recovery exercise
Responsible for implementation and release of database changes as requested by the application team
- Create and maintain database/application architecture and standards following Oracle Best practices for physical structures, logical databases, user management.
- Act as a database project leader for critical, time driven, visible projects, if needed.
- Integrate/collaborate with application development and support teams on various IT projects.
- Provide thought leadership and assist in setting strategic direction for Database, infrastructure and technology
- Provide off hours support and maintenance as required, part of the 24x7 operations support on call rotations as needed
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics
- 10-12 years of experience administering medium- to large-scale mission-critical enterprise Oracle databases in multi-terabyte environments .
- Expert level knowledge with Oracle 11g
- Oracle 12c knowledge is highly preferred
- Scripting experience in one of the following: Unix/Linux shell scripting, Perl, or Python.
- Experience with Oracle database architecture concepts.
- Excellent customer service and operations/support temperament is key for this role
Hands-on experience with Oracle RAC , Oracle Database Appliance (ODA) and Golden Gate
Proficiency working with Unix/Linux platforms with concrete knowledge of system administration/internals.
Ability to learn and support new application systems
Good technical leadership and communications skills, team player, and ability to work under pressure.
Performing Enterprise wide Database Upgrade and Migrations projects.
Hands-on experience on Database and SQL tuning
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.