What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Essential Job Functions
- Design, architect, and build databases based application systems from business requirements to planning and deploying test and production systems that are completely available and highly scalable
- Automate and perfect operational DBA duties which will include installation, database upgrades, patching, environment cloning, implementing backup/recovery and monitoring procedures, capacity planning and site failover/switchover.
- Interface with clients, network, hardware and system operations teams to resolve problems with application/database systems in a timely manner.
- Follow change management process and participate in related meetings.
Responsible for managing Development, Test, QA and Production databases and implementing future Oracle enhancements to meet the business needs of the end users.
Monitor database health - availability, reliability, performance, capacity planning, server clustering, replication, re-indexing. Tune system to ensure maximum system efficiency and 100% system availability. Resolve any problems that arise with the database
Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans and procedures during bi-annual Disaster Recovery exercise
Responsible for implementation and release of database changes as requested by the application team
- Create and maintain database/application architecture and standards following Oracle Best practices for physical structures, logical databases, user management.
- Act as a database project leader for critical, time driven, visible projects, if needed.
- Integrate/collaborate with application development and support teams on various IT projects.
- Provide thought leadership and assist in setting strategic direction for Database, infrastructure and technology
- Provide off hours support and maintenance as required, part of the 24x7 operations support on call rotations as needed
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics
- 10-12 years of experience administering medium- to large-scale mission-critical enterprise Oracle databases in multi-terabyte environments .
- Expert level knowledge with Oracle 11g
- Oracle 12c knowledge is highly preferred
- Scripting experience in one of the following: Unix/Linux shell scripting, Perl, or Python.
- Experience with Oracle database architecture concepts.
- Excellent customer service and operations/support temperament is key for this role
Hands-on experience with Oracle RAC , Oracle Database Appliance (ODA) and Golden Gate
Proficiency working with Unix/Linux platforms with concrete knowledge of system administration/internals.
Ability to learn and support new application systems
Good technical leadership and communications skills, team player, and ability to work under pressure.
Performing Enterprise wide Database Upgrade and Migrations projects.
Hands-on experience on Database and SQL tuning
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.