Senior Auditor II - Data SME
United States-California-San Ramon
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Consumer Banking, Commercial Banking, and Wealth Management.
The Inspection Group, as the Bank’s periodic control function (i.e., third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The Senior Auditor II is primarily responsible for audit execution on areas of assigned audit responsibilities supporting audits of data governance and management (including CCAR). This position is primarily located in either our San Ramon or Omaha locations, and requires some ability to travel.
Essential Job Functions
1. Demonstrates a strong ability to execute assigned audit procedures accurately, timely, and with minimal supervision.
2. Supports the Head of Assignment by assisting with audit scoping, planning, evaluating, and reporting.
3. Contributes to the completion of continuous monitoring activities for assigned auditable entities and escalates matters that may impact the timing of the next audit assignments.
4. Prepares and updates risk assessments for assigned auditable entities for supervisory review.
5. Validates the sufficiency and suitability of business corrective actions to address audit recommendations for supervisory review.
6. Exhibits effective written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management.
7. Possesses an understanding of audit, risk, compliance, banking, and/or product knowledge
8. Executes audit work in accordance with BNPP Inspection Generale and the Bank of the West Inspection Group policies and procedures.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable and related field
- Required license(s) or certification(s) CIA, CISA, CPA, CAMS, and/or CRCM
- Years of functional/professional experience: Minimum years of audit and /or risk experience: Typically 6+ years
- Experience and working knowledge of processes and controls supporting data management, including governance, quality architecture and metadata. Familiarity with Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) 239 preferred.
- Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR) or Dodd-Frank Act stress testing (DFAST) experience preferred.
Administrative/Technical Skills/ Other Information
- Primary focus of role is on day-to-day execution of assigned areas of audit responsibilities and demonstrates the ability to take on additional responsibilities.
- Maintains current on industry developments affected areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrable strengths in one or more of the following:
- Bank Audit Activities
- Banking laws and regulations; region and branch banking operations; asset and liability management; treasury (including derivatives); lending (including evaluation of loan loss reserve, syndication desk, and other real estate owned); expenditures; deposits; PC and telephone banking (including FCC requirements); related systems; etc.
- Credit and Counterparty Activities
- Commercial and industrial lending; commercial real estate; trade finance; consumer lending; financial statement analysis; loan underwriting and structure; valuation; highly-leverage transactions; accounting standards; Uniform Commercial Code; capital markets and other non-traditional credit areas including off-balance sheet credit risk; etc.
- Enterprise Risk Management Activities
- Enterprise Risk Management practices for large, complex banking organizations (LCBOs); capital management and planning; stress testing; model risk governance and management; operational risk; financial reporting (including FDIC and state call reporting requirements, GAAP, and SEC requirements); budgeting; cost accounting (including transfer pricing and cost allocation); incentive programs; etc.
- IT Audit Activities
- Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and American National Standards Institute (ANSI) requirements; application development and maintenance; computer operations; technical services; communications; information security (including system access control software, firewalls and encryption); end user computing (including Internet, local and wide area networks, client server technology, and PCs); contingency planning; operating systems (including associated program products); database structures and access methods; system analysis and design; programming and data extract languages and techniques; etc.
- Trust Audit Activities
- Common law and trust regulations; account administration (including ERISA requirements); operations; investment management; mutual funds (including SEC requirements); real estate; trust tax; financial reporting (including FDIC and state call reporting requirements, GAAP, and SEC requirements); related systems; etc.
- Technology Support
- Responsible for providing development and technical support on the key applications for the Inspection Group as well as acting as the primary technology liaison for the Inspection Group with the Bank and BNPP Inspection Generale (IG). The successful candidate will have a solid VBA development background, strong understanding of the Bank’s technical infrastructure, and a desire and aptitude to learn and deploy new technologies; etc.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.