Risk Rating, Manager
United States-California-San Francisco
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
1. Act as the Business Owner for the Dual Grading program – a complete transformation in the way the bank evaluates the risk associated with its $53 billion commercial credit portfolio.
2. Lead the development and evolution of the Dual Grading methodology, application, and wholesale scorecards, including identification/development of new scorecards required to address unique portfolios.
3. Lead the efforts around periodic scorecard maintenance and enhancements, including vendor selection and management, compliance with all Model Governance requirements, including monitoring, periodic model review and approvals of new or modified scorecards.
4. Lead the efforts to measure the effectiveness and use of the scorecards, including monitoring the use of grading overrides, etc.
5. Lead efforts to expand the integration of the scorecard data into Commercial Credit portfolio management, including RIMS, RAROC, Delegation of Lending Authority, EL based ALLL, Risk Appetite and CCAR, among others.
6. Support integration between Dual Grading platform and upstream systems, such as FC8, Rapport, CRIS and the CRIS replacement, as well as downstream booking systems such as AFS, InfoLease & DataScan.
7. Support the downstream process implementation, including revisions to Loan Policies & Procedures governing such items as Delegations, Problem Credit Management, Assignment to Managed Assets, Exposure categorization, etc. Provide leadership and expertise in the use of the BNPP Group tool, CRF.
8. Serve as the contact and expert resource for Senior & Executive Management, Business Unit Heads and employees, the Credit and Counterparty Risk team, the BNPP Credit Ratings Policy team, and Inspection and Regulators (as necessary) on all items pertaining to Wholesale Grading at Bank of the West.
9. Negotiate vendor contracts with BNPP, scorecard vendors and others as required to support the Dual Grading program.
10. Provide leadership support for analysts and user support staff assigned to support the Dual Grading effort.
11. Maintain and improve the user support structure for CRF & the dual grading scorecards.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business, or Finance
Master’s/Advanced Degree in MBA/MFE-preferred
Required license(s) or certification(s) CFA-preferred
Field of Experience
7 Years of functional/professional experience
Significant experience in Commercial Lending required; including financial statement analysis and recognition of key risk drivers across multiple business lines (small business, corporate lending, Ag lending, Investor Real Estate, including construction, non-profit lending, etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.