Regional Manager - Commercial Banking (Boston)
United States-Massachusetts-General MA
Sales and Sales Related
At Bank of the West the customer is at the core of everything we do, and we take a real and human approach to banking. Our brand personality is reflective of modern Western values: open, straightforward, entrepreneurial, optimistic and innovative. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity.
Bank of the West is a fast-growth, super-regional bank owned by BNP Paribas (BNPP), a top 6 global financial services institution with $2.5 trillion in assets and offices in 80 countries. We are a strong, well-capitalized and prudently managed FDIC-insured bank. Through holding BancWest Corporation, the bank is a subsidiary of BNP Paribas, one of the six highest rated banks globally. Diverse business lines include Commercial Banking, Retail Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Our Commercial Banking Group (CBG) meets the rapidly changing needs of growing businesses. With BNP Paribas as our parent, CBG has the advantage of being big and small, global and local concurrently. The Commercial Banking Group offers highly responsive, personalized service delivered by local bankers with close ties to their communities, who are backed by the resources and reach of one of the world's largest and strongest financial groups.
We were recently voted Best Commercial Bank in the Western United States by World Finance Magazine.
The Regional Manager – Boston is a newly created role in Commercial Banking Group (CBG), our fastest growth business at Bank of the West. This is a key strategic priority, with significant visibility to drive the further growth of CBG. This is an opportunity to grow and lead a region, with the backing of both a top bank domestically, plus the reach of a global parent.
We’re seeking an entrepreneurial, hands-on executive to open, build, and grow a new commercial banking office. Must be a very strong Relationship Manager, excellent at developing new business (deal sizes range from $15M to $200+M), with depth in credit, and strong experience serving middle market and mid-corporate clients. Market area will be determined by geography, so a strong generalist with the ability to attract and serve commercial banking clients across multiple industries would be ideal. In the Boston market, we would also value Healthcare / Life Sciences expertise.
The Regional Manager will plan, direct and manage the activities of the defined CBG banking regional market area to accomplish profit, growth, referral, quality, and service objectives. Responsible for overall planning and performance in all of the following functions within the assigned market: Business Development, Customer Retention, Credit and Service Quality, and human resources management. Has Profit & Loss responsibility for the business unit.
Essential Job Functions
· Business Origination; Able to develop relationships with clients in the assigned geographic segment. This individual will be tasked with growing CBG’s client portfolio with the objective of increasing net revenue. This individual will have relationship management responsibilities, and will lead an aggressive calling plan on prospective clients within the assigned geographical region. S/He may be involved in cross-sell opportunities with other groups within Bank of the West, as must maintain a network of industry peers. This role is strategic in nature and will involve developing and growing profitable client relationships.
· Analyzes pertinent financial and credit data; has authority to approve loans within delegated signing authority level; recommends to higher level of authority if appropriate and/or recommends loans for denial. Establishes pricing for loans within guidelines established at the Division and Group level; provides input regarding loan product pricing and features for loans over approval authority.
· Implements policies and procedures throughout defined market area to comply with fundamental business and credit priorities of the Bank. Ensures a high standard of credit quality through the process of credit approval and aggressive portfolio monitoring and management. May or may not have delegated lending authority depending on the size and scope of the assigned market area.
· Assumes responsibilities for carrying out operations in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations, securing professional counsel when necessary. Ensures that their assigned market area’s operating procedures are in compliance with the approved policies and procedures of the Bank. Maintains a positive, customer-focused attitude achieving stated service standards.
· Obtains and evaluates general and specific business conditions, and keeps division management advised on such matters. Gathers market intelligence so that market opportunities may be capitalized on as they occur and the effects of competitive activity may be minimized. Makes recommendations regarding the Bank’s product and market coverage in collaboration with research, product development, marketing, pricing, and operational activities.
· Participates in community and business functions/groups to ensure a positive image for the Bank within the designated marketplace. Ensures compliance with CRA outreach program. Represents the Bank as appropriate in its relationships with joint ventures, major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies and similar groups.*LI-MT1
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business required
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business preferred
· Required license(s) or certification(s) Formal Credit Training preferred
· 15 or more years of directly related experience in commercial banking
· 3 or more years of supervisor/managerial experience preferred
· Thorough knowledge of commercial lending, sales, and financial service needs of middle market and corporate companies and/or specific industry expertise
· Specific industry/market knowledge in commercial banking. Able to originate, self-source, and be involved in participation on deals with various internal and external constituents. Exposure to syndicated deals is a plus.
· Analytical and business minded
· Deep understanding of Bank products and services
· Demonstrated leadership
· Sales and marketing skills
· Top-tier negotiation skills
Leadership Competencies/ Personal Attributes:
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Experience within a matrixed, collaborative environment is essential
· Ability to effectively advise and communicate with clients and executive leadership
· Strategic thinking skills and business acumen
· High intellectual capacity, sound professional judgment and discretion
· Advanced decision making and analysis skills - draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decisions that provide practical solutions
· Adaptable and Optimistic - responds appropriately and competently to the demands of work challenges when confronted with change, ambiguity, adversity, and other pressures
· Personal Ownership - Effectively meets objectives, motivates self to get the job done, performs in an organized, accurate and productive fashion. Seeks out knowledge, ideas and feedback to improve effectiveness, and holds self-accountable for following policies, guidelines, and procedures.
Generalist commercial banking background within a specific geographical region is required. Vertical expertise in specific geographical regions; Healthcare & Life Sciences within Boston is a plus but is not required.
This person will hire additional staff as the region grows.