Commercial Banking MD Regional Manager, San Francisco Bay Area
United States-California-San Francisco
Sales and Sales Related
At Bank of the West the customer is at the core of everything we do, and we take a real and human approach to banking. Our brand personality is reflective of modern Western values: open, straightforward, entrepreneurial, optimistic and innovative. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity.
Bank of the West is a fast-growth, super-regional bank owned by BNP Paribas (BNPP), a top 6 global financial services institution with $2.5 trillion in assets and offices in 80 countries. We are a strong, well-capitalized and prudently managed FDIC-insured bank. Through holding BancWest Corporation, the bank is a subsidiary of BNP Paribas, one of the six highest rated banks globally. Diverse business lines include Commercial Banking, Retail Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Our Commercial Banking Group (CBG) meets the rapidly changing needs of growing businesses. With BNP Paribas as our parent, CBG has the advantage of being big and small, global and local concurrently. The Commercial Banking Group offers highly responsive, personalized service delivered by local bankers with close ties to their communities, who are backed by the resources and reach of one of the world's largest and strongest financial groups.
We were recently voted Best Commercial Bank in the Western United States by World Finance Magazine.
The Managing Director, Regional Manager, San Francisco Bay Area will lead a successful, growing region within our Commercial Banking Group (CBG). CBG is our fastest growing business at Bank of the West / BNP Paribas. This is a key strategic role, with significant visibility to drive the further growth of CBG. This is an opportunity to lead a sizeable region, with the backing of a top bank domestically, plus the reach of a global parent.
We’re seeking a seasoned, strong leader and manager with 18+ years of commercial banking experience to manage and run the SF Bay Area P&L, which includes offices in San Francisco, the East Bay (San Ramon, CA) and Silicon Valley (San Jose). This executive will manage a team of 10 Relationship Managers.
The ideal candidate has a broad, generalist industry background. He or She must have experience dealing with the complex banking needs of upper middle market and mid-corporate clients; both public and private. Strong understanding of deal structuring is required. Knowledge of debt capital and equity capital markets is preferred. Someone comfortable structuring complex deals, who is Licensed (Series 7, Series 63, etc.) will be looked upon favorably.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned commercial banking executive with experience serving upper middle market or mid-corporate clients. Must have demonstrated management experience, understand how to grow and manage a region. The ability to grow market share across diverse industries is required.
The ideal candidate is a “rainmaker” who also possesses strong people management experience. Ideally, this leader will have deep familiarity with the local San Francisco Bay area market. Must understand credit, as well as commercial banking products. This role requires the ability to cross-sell products, and lead a team of RM’s with regard to doing the same. The ability to recruit, mentor and develop talented team members is essential. Someone who is entrepreneurial, hands-on, and enjoys building out a strong commercial banking region would be ideal.
This executive must be a very strong Regional Head/ Relationship Manager, excellent at developing new business (deal sizes range from $15M to $200+M; and average client size is $100Million to $2+ Billion in revenues). Depth in serving the banking needs of upper middle market and mid-corporate clients is required.
The Regional Manager – San Francisco Bay Area will plan, direct and manage the activities of the San Francisco Bay Area regional market area in order to accomplish profit, growth, referral, quality, and service objectives. Responsible for overall planning and performance in all of the following functions within the assigned market: Business Development, Customer Retention, Credit and Service Quality, and human resources management. Has Profit & Loss responsibility for the business unit.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business required
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business preferred
· Required license(s) or certification(s) Formal Credit Training preferred
· 18+ years of directly related experience within commercial banking
· 5+ years of supervisor/managerial experience preferred
· Thorough knowledge of commercial lending, sales, and financial service needs of upper-middle market and corporate companies across several industries
· Specific industry/market knowledge in commercial banking. Able to originate, self-source, and be involved in participation on deals with various internal and external constituents. Exposure to syndicated deals is a plus.
· Analytical and business minded
· Deep understanding of Commercial Banking products and services
· Demonstrated leadership
· Sales and marketing skills
· Top-tier negotiation skills
Leadership Competencies/ Personal Attributes:
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Experience within a matrixed, collaborative environment is essential
· Ability to effectively advise and communicate with clients and executive leadership
· Strategic thinking skills and business acumen
· High intellectual capacity, sound professional judgment and discretion
· Advanced decision making and analysis skills - draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decisions that provide practical solutions
· Adaptable and Optimistic - responds appropriately and competently to the demands of work challenges when confronted with change, ambiguity, adversity, and other pressures
· Personal Ownership - Effectively meets objectives, motivates self to get the job done, performs in an organized, accurate and productive fashion. Seeks out knowledge, ideas and feedback to improve effectiveness, and holds self-accountable for following policies, guidelines, and procedures.
Generalist commercial banking experience within the San Francisco Bay Area is strongly preferred.
This person will manage a team of 10 Relationship Managers; and will interact with other related team members involved in serving this region.