Operational Risk, Manager
United States-California-San Francisco
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for developing, implementing, and executing an Operational Risk Independent Testing program across all risk domains, with an immediate focus on Third Party Service Provider, Information Security, Technology Risk Management and other key risk domains. Works with 1st Line testing managers, Operational Risk Managers, and Corporate Partners to determine review activities which will validate the control environment for the Bank. Provides subject matter expertise on operational risk testing methodologies to other Managers and staff including Corporate & Investment Banking and Investment Solutions.
- Partners with business units to ensure sound controls are implemented as part of new projects and business as usual enhancements. Reviews, analyzes, and makes banking recommendations to Bank’s Operational Risk team about the design and implementation of the enterprise operational risk management framework/measurement methodologies.
- Designs and develop testing strategies and methodologies to assess the effectiveness of the bank’s practices used to validate the control environment across all lines of business and corporate staff groups.
- Performs testing and manages other individuals
- Develops and execute monitoring activities associated with the Level 1 Control function. Ensures activities are performed accurately, thoroughly, and in accordance with operational risk requirements, and/or industry best practices.
- Define Independent Testing Framework around testing strategies for 1st and 2nd line.
- Meet regularly with 1st Line of Defense testing teams and senior management to assess review activities, known gaps, remediation status, and influence decisions and action when appropriate
- Analyze business and /or system changes to determine impact and identifies and assesses operational risk issues and assigns risk rating consistent with established policy standards.
- Reviews new and pending policies; tests impacted areas of change to ensure that appropriate changes are implemented.
- Develops and manages testing programs for Information Security, Technology Management, Third Party Providers and other operational risk domains. This includes design, plan, and execution testing procedures to assess compliance with policies.
- Provides training and oversight of other testers.
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment, manage multiple tasks concurrently, possess strong verbal and written communication skills and build strong working relationships.
- Assists the Bank’s Operational Risk team in maintaining effective and professional relationships with senior management, internal and external auditors, Federal and State regulators, and others dealt with in a professional capacity
- Stays current in global operational risk management techniques, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. Makes recommendations when necessary to safeguard the position of the Bank.
- Creates an annual testing schedule
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Admin required
- CISSP preferred
· 4 to 7 years of directly related experience
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.