Mortgage Loan Closer
United States-Iowa-West Des Moines
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for performing a variety of clerical loan closing/funding functions, including the preparation, review and funding of mortgage loan documents. Interacts with escrow and title companies on related closing/funding functions.
Essential Job Functions1. Verifies accuracy of file documentation, correct vesting, legal description and required title endorsements and enters all document preparation information into the computer system.
2. Balances closing figures and prepares closing papers in accordance with FHLMC, FNMA, RD and Bond agency and Bank requirements in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Works with lending institutions and customers to clear various title problems, such as liens, lawsuits, and judgments.
4. Ensures accuracy of all related accounting entries.
5. Determines and prepares the appropriate loan documents needed to satisfy internal, external and regulatory requirements in accordance with loan program.
6. Coordinates and communicates commitment periods, loan terms, conditions, and funding and recording dates to escrow.
7. Reviews payoffs on existing loans, title commitments, surveys, and insurance information. Verifies accuracy, identifying potential issues and works to resolve those issues in a timely manner such as scheduling and balancing issues.
8. Maintains tickler and status file on all assigned files to monitor and track appropriate documentation requirements.
9. Ensures that all Bank assets related to the loan closing function are properly safeguarded against errors, omissions, regulatory criticism or potential loss.
10. Ensures all underwriting conditions have been satisfied, RESPA issues have been addressed and properly documented.
11. Balances the truth-in-lending amount financed to the final approval settlement statement to ensure compliance with Reg Z.
12. Sets up loan funding calculations. Balances closing figures with the title company and prepare closing documents in accordance with FHLMC, FNMA, RD and Bond agency. Prepares checks or wire and balance cash reconciliation statement in accordance with corporate guidelines.
13. Prepares required closing package for delivery to title company via e-mail transmission in a timely manner.
14. Interfaces with Branch Officers, HMC’s, Escrow Officers, Title Officers, and Insurance Agents.
15. Monitors and tracks closing volumes to report to management to make adjustments to workloads where necessary to ensure that maximum capacity is obtained in a timely fashion.
16. Researches inquiries made by post closing and various outside agencies with respect to closed loans and reports to management any non-conformance to company policy.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required
Two or more year of closing and funding experience.
One year of customer service experience
Administrative/Technical Skills/ Other Information
- Thorough knowledge of residential real estate loan products and related processing and underwriting procedures and requirements.
- Good understanding and knowledge of lending documentation, internal loan processes and governmental regulations and requirements.
- Customer service experience necessary.
- General familiarity with office procedures
- Typing of 40-45 WPM
- Good verbal and written communication
- Organizational skills
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge of 10-key, calculator
- Photocopier and fax machine
- Maintains filing system
- Math and analysis
- PC Proficiencies with Windows based software in Word, Outlook and Excel
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.