Mortgage Loan Closer
United States-Iowa-West Des Moines
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for performing a variety of clerical loan closing/funding functions, including the preparation, review and funding of mortgage loan documents; and the interaction with escrow and title companies. Ability to meet strict deadlines including balancing closing figures and preparing closing papers in accordance with FHLMC, FNMA, FHA, VA, RD, bond agency and Bank requirements.
Essential Job Functions
1. Verifies accuracy of file documentation, and enters all document preparation information into the computer system. Verification processes includes: verifying correct vesting, legal description, and required title endorsements.
2. Ensures accuracy of all related accounting entries.
3. Determines and prepares the appropriate loan documents needed to satisfy internal, external and regulatory requirements in accordance with loan program. Works with lending institutions and customers to clear various title problems, such as liens, lawsuits, and judgments.
4. Reviews payoffs on existing loans, title commitments, surveys, and insurance information. Verifies accuracy, identifying potential issues and works to resolve those issues in a timely manner such as scheduling and balancing issues. Communicates commitment periods, loan terms, conditions and funding dates to escrow. Coordinates the funding and recording dates with escrow.
5. Maintains tickler and status file on all assigned files to monitor and track appropriate documentation requirements.
6. Ensures that all Bank assets related to the loan closing function are properly safeguarded against errors, omissions, regulatory criticism or potential loss.
7. Ensures all underwriting conditions have been satisfied, RESPA issues have been addressed and properly documented.
8. Sets up loan funding calculations. Balances closing figures with the title company and prepare closing documents in accordance with FHLMC, FNMA, FHA, VA, RD and bond guidelines. Prepares checks or wires and balance cash reconciliation statement in accordance with corporate guidelines.
9. Prepares required closing package for delivery to title company via email transmission in a timely manner.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
· High school diploma and or combination of education or equivalent related experience
· 3+ years in closing and funding experience
· 2 years customer service experience
Field of Experience
· Thorough knowledge of residential real estate loan products and related processing procedures and requirements.
· Good understanding and knowledge of lending documentation, internal loan processes and governmental regulations and requirements.
· Customer service experience necessary.
· General familiarity with office procedures
· Typing of 40-45 WPM
· Knowledge of 10-key, calculator
· Photocopier and fax machine
· Maintains filing system
· Math and analysis
· Analytical skills
· PC Proficiencies with Windows based software in Word, Outlook and Excel
· Organizational skills
· Good verbal and written communications skills
· May act as a team lead
· Sedentary Work: lifting a maximum of 10 pounds, frequent standing/walking
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.