Managing Director, Loan Book and Credit- Agribusiness Banking Division, CBG Division Credit Mgr II
At Bank of the West the customer is at the core of everything we do, and we take a real and human approach to banking. Our brand personality is reflective of modern Western values: open, straightforward, entrepreneurial, optimistic and innovative. What sets us apart from other banks is our team members - we seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity.
Bank of the West is a financially strong, well-capitalized and prudently managed FDIC-insured bank that customers have entrusted with their money for over 135 years. Through holding BancWest Corporation, the bank is a subsidiary of BNP Paribas, one of the six highest rated banks globally. Bank of the West employs a business model that lets the bank make service-focused decisions about credit, products and other aspects of its operations quickly and consistently. Lines of business include Commercial Banking, Regional Banking, National Consumer Finance and Wealth Management.
Bank of the West's Commercial Banking Group (CBG) meets the rapidly changing needs of growing businesses. With BNP Paribas as our parent, CBG has the advantage of being both big and small, global and local concurrently. The Commercial Banking Group offers highly responsive, personalized service delivered by local bankers with close ties to their communities, who are backed by the resources and reach of one of the world's largest and strongest financial groups.
CBG’s Agribusiness Banking Division establishes relationships with Agribusiness (Food, Beverage, Wine, Farming) industries. In areas with no Commercial Banking Offices, the local Agribusiness lending unit is allowed to establish banking relationships with commercial entities. Lending relationship size determines the Division’s market. Clients generally have lending relationships greater than $500M and relationships can be established beyond the Bank’s geographic footprint.
This is a front-office, senior management Credit executive who will lead a sizeable team of 46 credit individuals. This person must have Agribusiness-specific expertise (Agribusiness, Food, Beverage, Farming, Wine, etc). He/she will manage complete credit and risk processes for the Agribusiness Banking Division within our Commercial Banking Group. This person will serve as the lead and driving force in all Credit and Risk matters at the Division level. Reports to the Managing Director of CBG Risk, this executive will lend support to the relevant Division Manager. In conjunction with the Risk Manager and Division Heads, will define current Risk strategies and parameters for the Agribusiness Banking Division. Serve as the lead to Sector Specialists across all aspects of underwriting, credit and monitoring functions. This leader will be assisted by the Agribusiness Banking Division’s CBG Credit Managers, who report directly to him/her, backing up the different duties.
· Proactively recommends adoption, modification and implementation of underwriting strategies, standards, analyses, relevant processes and procedures to maintain acceptable levels of Risk at all times.
· Responsible for the Senior Credit Analysis team and the Underwriting Functions. Structure the credit.
· Implement policies and procedures to comply with fundamental business and credit priorities of the Bank.
· Has authority to approve loans within delegated signing authority level; recommends to higher level of authority if appropriate and/or recommends loans for denial.
· Establishes pricing for loans within guidelines established at the Division and Group level; provides input regarding loan product pricing and features for loans over approval authority.
· Assists the Division Executive Manager with the leadership and management of the Division, including strategic and tactical planning and budgeting.
· Represents the Bank as appropriate in its relationships with joint ventures, major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies and similar groups.
· Engage, up front, in the structuring of new deals with commercial banking clients in order to satisfy internal credit requirements and enhance timely approval (or denial).
· Make recommendations regarding the Bank’s product and market coverage in collaboration with research, product development, marketing, pricing, and operational activities.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or business-related subject required
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Management or Business-related subject preferred but not required.
· CFA or CPA is a plus, but is not required.
· 15 or more years of credit-related experience
· Management Experience; 5+ years of experience managing a credit function and staff. Direct reports will include Credit Products Officers, Portfolio Management Officer, and Credit Analysts.
· Able to travel occasionally for work (up to 20%)
Technical and Administrative Skills
· Subject matter expert in Agribusiness Credit within Commercial / wholesale banking; Portfolio management.
· Must have senior credit / delegation holder responsibility. Will be responsible for Loan Book and Credit.
· Strong ability to analyze commercial credit, structure credit.
· Strong understanding of Commercial Banking’s Sales/Marketing aspects, as well as Credit/Risk/Lending components.
· Understands the link between coverage and risk.
Leadership Competencies/Personal Attributes:
· Displays advanced decision making and analysis skills - draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decisions to provide practical solutions. Strong presentation and problem solving skills.
· Strong communication skills
· Displays high intellectual capacity, sound professional judgment and discretion in order to lead credit activities within a complex and changing environment.
· Communicates effectively with diverse groups and individuals - clearly conveys information and ideas and listens and responds appropriately to individuals inside and outside the Bank.
· Leadership Experience within a matrixed, collaborative environment is essential. Develops open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships.
· Adaptable - responds appropriately and competently to work challenges when confronted with change, ambiguity, adversity, and other pressures.
· Strong results-orientation and Personal Ownership. Assumes responsibility for meeting objectives, motivating self and others to get the job done.
· Efficient and well organized. Performs job duties in an organized, accurate and productive fashion.
· Seeks out and is open to knowledge, ideas and feedback to improve effectiveness, and holds self-accountable for following policies, guidelines, and procedures.
· Effective negotiation skills
· Highest standards of ethics and personal integrity
· Manage a team of approximately 46 people
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.