Fraud Prevention Analyst I
United States-California-San Ramon
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for analyzing basic account activity though the utilization of fraud filters and research tools to ensure the bank maintains a high level of loss avoidance and a low level of risk due to fraudulent activity within our customer base. Assists in the process to safeguard bank assets and minimize operating losses and exposure to loss through effective loss analysis and prevention procedures. Provides quality service to our customers and business partners through the utilization of fraud filters and research tools in an efficient manner. Generally handles cases of low to medium.
Essential Job Functions
1. Reviews and analyzes low to medium risk activity on alerted accounts to determine potential fraud related to items such as checks processed, kiting, or new accounts. Determines action to take and communicates as appropriate.
2. Investigates and based on established rules takes action to prevent fraudulent financial transactions to mitigate loss to the Bank and its customers.
3. Researches suspect account activity and recommends: restricted maintenance, returning uncollected fund items. Works with Security Investigations on possible account relationship closure to avoid continued loss.
4. Determines whether holds or account restrictions may need to be placed against accounts through analysis of the account relationship and the probability of loss to the Bank.
5. Reviews and analyzes fraud reports, validating suspected items against established rules.
6. Identifies problems and presents written solutions ensuring accuracy and validity of information.
7. Support various business partners and branch personnel in the processing of operational charge-off losses
8. Answers and provides assistance on telephone/email inquiries from the branches and internal departments
9. Cross train to support other functions within the unit
10. May assist with small department projects
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
• High School Diploma or GED required
• 1 - 3 years of functional/professional experience
Administrative/Technical Skills/ Other Information
• Good knowledge of bank systems preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.