Data Analytics Analyst—Compliance Statistician
United States-California-San Ramon
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
This position reports to the Data Analytics Manager in the CIP Fair Lending Data Analytics Team. We are seeking a qualified, creative, self-motivated candidate with excellent analytical and quantitative skills to contribute to the growth of the CIP Fair Lending Testing Program.
Essential Job Functions
Perform fair lending statistical analysis for various lending products under supervision.
Analyze lending policies and processes for various products to design a fair lending test and provide specification.
Generate thorough reports with the results of fair lending analyses, and present the report to senior management.
Act as a lead analyst for specific projects, this includes managing the various aspect of a fair lending test including: planning, data acquisition, project schedule, and actively engaging with subject matter experts and business leaders to gain insight on policies and processes affecting the decisions on the products being studied.
Perform matched pair analyses and produce file samples for manual fair lending review.
Collaborate in the planning and execution of complex studies.
Perform various complex ad-hoc analyses.
Perform data extractions, preparation, and quality integrity checks for various projects.
A 3+ years (desirable) of prior experience in banking or financial institution in an analytical role.
A minimum 3 years of experience using SAS preferably in a banking or financial institution. SAS certifications a plus.
Experience performing statistical data analyses for fair lending compliance risk (preferred), credit risk, or finance in banking, a financial institution or related organization.
Experience using SAS to extract data from databases, and preparing data for analysis a plus.
Experience and practical knowledge of project management a plus.
Experience with spatial analysis a plus.
Experience developing maps with SAS/Graph a plus.
Experience with MACROs and stored processes in SAS a plus.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Math, Economics, or related field required
• MS or PhD degree in Statistics, Math, Economics, or related field required
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge of applied statistics and SAS programming required.
- Knowledge of fair and responsible banking is highly desirable
- Detail oriented with the ability to understand the broad context.
- Ability and willingness to pursue excellent results.
- Good inter-personal and partnering skills to facilitate effective working relationships.
- Ability to problem solve and swiftly escalate issues to senior staff when needed.
- Good management and control of work flows to produce deliverables within required timeframes and quality standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to summarize complex information into simple to understand information.
- Ability to produce thorough description of analyses and results.
- Excellent analytic and quantitative skills.
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing environment and prioritize deliverables
- Strong SAS programing skills Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/Graph and other packages required.
- Ability to develop maps with SAS/Graph a plus.
- Knowledge of KML a plus.
- Excellent ability for creating reports and analyzing data with SAS.
- Experience with UNIX or Linux is highly desired
- Good MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills; experience with other data analysis tools is a plus
- Creativity, curiosity, and the desire to learn and innovate
- Ability to self-motivate, self-start, and a desire to work independently in a relatively unstructured environment
- Good understanding of the banking and financial services industries
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.