Counsel - Wealth Management
United States-California-Los Angeles
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members – they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, Personal Finance, and Wealth Management.
Provide advice and counsel on all aspects of the Bank’s Wealth Management Group, with a focus on the Bank’s subsidiary, BancWest Investment Services, a retail broker/dealer and registered investment adviser. This position also may assist in other corporate matters such as corporate governance, compliance matters, and various projects supported by the legal department. This position will report to the Senior Counsel – Wealth Management.
Essential Job Functions
· Provides counsel, guidance, and support to Bank officers and executives on the legal implications of business issues and initiatives, with a focus on risk management and loss mitigation.
· Provides advice on FINRA regulations, SEC rules and regulations, and other laws or regulations (State and Federal) relating to retail broker-dealer and investment adviser activities, including ERISA investment-related matters and regulations issued under the Dodd Frank Act.
· Provides advice on the drafting and filing of regulatory forms including ADV filings for the RIA and on potential products and services to be offered within wealth management.
· Advises senior management on industry developments pertinent to areas of responsibility, including the implications for the Bank and possible related strategic and/or tactical actions.
· Provides legal advice on transactions or contracts involving the Bank’s Wealth Management activities, including broker-dealer operations.
· Retains and manages outside counsel as warranted; actively manages and oversees outside counsel’s budget and work product; provides direction and strategy to outside counsel.
· Keeps informed of legislative and regulatory proposals that would affect the Bank’s wealth management operations, with a focus or broker dealer and registered investment advisor functions. Studies proposed and existing legislation and regulations affecting the Bank, and counsels management regarding impact. May advise on key regulatory issues and trends and manage regulatory issues and relationships.
· Prepares and reviews various transaction agreements, contracts, regulatory applications, documents, analysis, memoranda, and correspondence.
· Support other projects, handle other legal issues, or advise other business units as needs arise. Be flexible and willing to develop expertise in areas outside of wealth management, as needed.
· Ideal candidate will have experience with securities law and with broker/dealer and Registered Investment Adviser regulation.
· Candidate must become a member of the California Bar or otherwise qualify to practice law in California as house counsel.
· Superior academic credentials from a top law school.
· 8+ years in legal practice.
· Experience with large law firm and/or large financial institution legal department strongly preferred.
Administrative / Technical Skills
· Excellent analytical and research skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Team player
· High level of professionalism
· Ability to inspire confidence at all levels of the organization
· A driver of results and focus on customer service
· Adaptable and flexible work-style with a proven ability to handle competing demands and priorities
· Able to successfully navigate changing environments and perform in a fast-paced setting
· Work history indicates a demonstrated track record of performance
· Excellent negotiation, planning, and organizational skills
· Good computer skills
· J.D. from a top law school
· Candidate must be a member of the California Bar or otherwise qualify to practice law in California as house counsel
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran. Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.