Corporate Strategy & Development, Principal (VP)
United States-California-San Francisco
Corporate Strategy & Development, Principal (Vice President)
Bank of the West is a regional financial services company headquartered in San Francisco with $86.9 billion in assets as of June 30, 2017. With community bank roots dating back more than 140 years, Bank of the West operates a network of retail, wealth, commercial and business banking branches and offices in 23 states. The Bank has more than 10,000 team members serving the needs of approximately two million customers. Bank of the West is a subsidiary of BNP Paribas, a leading bank in Europe, which has a presence in 74 countries with more than 192,000 employees.
Based in San Francisco, the Corporate Strategy & Development team helps drive the Bank’s long-term goals and assess strategic opportunities at corporate and business unit levels. Our main responsibilities include:
- Corporate and Business Unit Strategy: work with the Bank’s main operating groups to provide internal consulting on growth, competitive strategy, and business improvement projects.
- Industry and Peer Benchmarking: develop strategic insights from quantitative analysis of peers and direct competitors.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: monitor M&A and bank valuation environment, identify potential acquisition targets, perform due diligence, and negotiate transactions.
- Ad Hoc Projects: execute other strategic, operational, and financial activities.
Our team is comprised of professionals with backgrounds in corporate development, M&A, private equity, strategy and consulting, and other finance roles.
- Manage the building of financial models and analyses related to forecasting, valuation, M&A, or other financial activities. Examples include M&A and business case modeling including pro forma B/S, P&L, ROIC, and other bank-specific profitability metrics.
- Lead general problem solving on a variety of strategic, operational, financial, transactional, and related topics (based on experience).
- Lead competitive and industry research and provide data support and analysis.
- Manage complex research, perform business case analysis, refine management presentation, and support stakeholders as required.
- Work with other Corporate Strategy and Development members and other groups and functions within the Bank on a variety of projects as needed.
- Provide mentoring and develop less-experienced Corporate Strategy & Development personnel.
- Perform other duties or ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Superb financial modeling and analysis skills, and ability to work with large amount of data
- Strategic thinking, resourceful, and strong problem solving, business case writing, and verbal presentation skills.
- Superb self-motivation and a desire to work independently in a relatively unstructured environment.
- Ability to multi-task and deliver under tight timeframes.
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred, CFA charter preferred.
- 10-12 years of experience in corporate development & strategy, investment banking (FIG focus), or other financial analytic roles.
- Prior experience with banks and/or financial institutions is required.
- Ability to drive complex projects and interact with stakeholders across the bank
- Superb work ethic and ownership that results in consistent, high-quality performance.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.