Controls & Governance Officer
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
We are currently seeking qualified, motivate talent to be responsible for ensuring that the assigned business unit policies, procedures and practices align with BotW 2nd line of defense Op Risks and Compliance requirements and providing challenge for continuous enhancements of the BU 1st line of defense set-up. Acts as a resource for Level 2 Control questions and issues arising from operations procedures, monitoring of operational risk functions.
To work with the assigned Business Group affected by changing laws, regulations or policies to ensure that appropriate changes are implemented.
2. To support the assigned Business Group to respond to Regulatory / Audit inquiries and assist with evidence gathering as requested.
3. To identify and report/escalation alerts on issues related to Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control.
4. To assist with action plan follow-up of identified risks. Recommends improvements to the Business Line Regulatory Compliance and Operational Risk Monitoring Programs. Assists in updating programs for centralized and decentralized functions that cover a wide range of banking activities so they are dynamic with new regulatory, corporate, and process requirements.
5. To produce and distribute processes, procedures/policies and make sure of their compliance with 2LOD requirements and BNPP as well. Acts as a subject matter resource on Level 2 Controls to book of assigned Business Line. Is knowledgeable about industry best practices and systems.
6. To work in close collaboration / Liaise with Compliance, Op Control and Audit team – and contribute to 1st LOD governance structure. Participates as requested in Business Line Committees/Work Groups along with other Business Team members. Identifies, researches, and reports issues to the committee in order to resolve as appropriate. Effectively contributes in implementing new Business Line procedures.
7. Disseminates all Compliance information and requirements.
8. Maintains current knowledge of related banking activities, and operational risk management and regulatory compliance requirements for financial institutions. Attends professional seminars and participates in Bank operational risk management and regulatory compliance forums.
9. Assists in developing and maintaining department policies and procedures in support of the Bank's Integrated Operational Risk Framework and/or industry best practices.
10. Assists with the testing of new specialized systems or systems upgrades.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
5 years of experience
Good knowledge of banking operational risk management and industry practices
Good knowledge of banking and related laws and regulations
Good knowledge of bank operations activities, from both a branch and centralized function aspect
Experience in developing, writing, and communicating policies and procedures helpful
Prior audit or regulatory compliance experience helpful
Certification (CPA, CIA, CBA, and/or CFE) helpful
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.