What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
The most senior technical professional in the Quantitative modeling job family and will lead or provide guidance to lesser experienced staff.
Responsible for the full model development cycle and implementation of retail and wholesale scorecard models. Will be involved in assessing available historical and loan-level risk factors (default, loss given default and exposure at default) and risk factor data to support requirements and model development. Collaborate with business, risk personnel and model development team to deliver data and infrastructure required for regulatory compliance. Manage and analyze large, complex data sets using statistical tools and econometric techniques.
1. Responsible for development of statistical and econometrics models for loss forecasting and stress testing of the Bank's portfolio of loans.
2. Ensure quantitative models and model-related artifacts and documentation are completed in a timely manner and appropriate documentation is in accordance with the Bank's latest model governance policies.
3. Follow proper model monitoring and back-testing processes, model change control procedures and versioning protocols.
4. Identify opportunities for future enhancements and model re-designs.
5. Collaborate with production analytics team to implement and test the models and to continuously enhance analytic infrastructure.
6. Ensure proper technical and regulatory compliance documentation is kept up-to-date and readily available.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in quantitative field required
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Statistics, Economics, Math, Industrial Engineering or Operations Research; PhD preferred
· 8 to 10 years intensive hands-on experience developing statistical and econometrics models; Minimum of 5 years of experience leading large modeling projects.
· Alternative: Combination of education and experience (years /description) with an appropriate Masters Degree and 5 or more years directly related experience or PhD with 3 or more years of experience.
Field of Experience
· Extensive experience in data exploration, data mining, data transformation, statistical estimation algorithms, and model design required. Advanced knowledge of SAS is preferred.
· Working knowledge of a variety of modeling techniques such as multivariate regressions, panel data analysis, models with categorical response variables, survival/hazard modeling, time series and vector auroregression analysis.
· Prior hands-on working experience with developing loan-level behavioral models on large data strongly preferred.
· Familiarity and hands-on experience developing, testing, and monitoring of the advanced approaches used for forecasting losses at loan-level, such as competing risk hazard/survival and Markov-chain type transition approaches, are a big plus.
· Demonstrated strengths in problem solving, planning and organizing and initiative.
· Highly self-motivated, results oriented and capable of independent and critical thinking and problem solving.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.