Compliance Program Management, Sr Mgr.
United States-California-San Ramon
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers.
Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing the design, execution and coordination of the compliance program at the enterprise level, for Bank of the West. This position will report directly to the Bank of the West Compliance COO and will provide support for the tactical and strategic operational aspects of the Bank of the West compliance program in coordination with the Combined US Operations (CUSO) / Intermediate Holding Company (IHC). This individual will manage a small team responsible for the transversal elements of the compliance program, including the coordination and oversight of compliance operational risks, operating procedures, regulatory change management activities, third party reviews, new products and services. Responsible for providing strategic leadership for defining business needs, specifications, and aiding the development of program elements and support systems for Compliance project initiatives. Plays a key role in managing the development of Compliance technology solutions in partnership with IT CoE; leads the proposals of strategic roadmaps in by partnering with business leaders.
Essential Job Functions
1. Anticipates and collaborates in defining operational and technology capabilities in support of business strategic roadmaps and creating supporting operational and technology strategy.
2. Partners with IT in the execution of technology solutions that deliver client value and lasting business impact. Ensures that development is highly strategic and focuses on maintaining the reliability and functionality essential to internal/external constituents.
3. Creates transparency into the project portfolio an ongoing production support capital and operating expenses and budgets. Reports on key success metrics.
4. Adopts and executes standards as established through business and enterprise architecture.
5. Drives the assessment and definition of new Compliance initiatives and partners with IT CoE in determining best methods for meeting business needs through combination of outsourced software implementation and internal services integration and/or development.
6. Manage the development and implementation of a robust control infrastructure and governance framework, including policies, processes, procedures, operational standards and controls that support compliance with local regulatory requirements and to mitigate identified risks.
7. Ensure the development, implementation, sustainability and continuous improvement in business-focused and compliance-oriented metrics in conjunction with first (business) and other second (such as Operational Risk Management) lines of defense.
8. Responsible for development and coordination of the compliance risk assessment process for third party vendor relationships, new products and services and marketing materials.
9. Lead change management initiatives (at functional and individual levels to assure execution of the target compliance operating model across each of the businesses, where applicable and as warranted.
10. Manage exam, inquiries and monthly status updates for Audits and Regulatory Exams. Assist in driving certain activities related to outstanding audit and regulatory examination recommendations and making sure corrective actions are implemented within agreed timeframes.
11. Design and implement compliance independent monitoring program, including designing target operating model for independent and dedicated team, creating and implementing enterprise monitoring procedures, and designing review and sign off process to drive consistency and quality
12. Drive cross-functional rationalization of risk, control and process taxonomies and harmonization of enterprise-wide risk assessments.
13. Oversee the implementation of the BWISE GRC tool for the Compliance program.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's Degree required, MBA preferred
· 10 – 12 years of proven leadership and business experience in the assessment, development and execution of program management, preferably in the financial services industry across multiple businesses and functions.
· Business Acumen and Compliance Knowledge of banking compliance management and related regulatory compliance
· Thought Leadership - Is able to imagine, define, architect and execute breakthrough solutions; is creative, has vision, and can manage innovation.
· Process Orientation/Organizational Skills - Is an effective process, workflow, and systems designer; is good at figuring out what to measure to track progress; can quickly diagnose and fix a workflow problem; always looking for incremental process improvement. Is well organized, resourceful, and forward thinking; effective and efficient at leading multiple resources to get things done; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
· Articulates across all levels of the Bank, business goals and connect them to Compliance program capabilities to be delivered and a supporting project portfolio.
· Demonstrated ability to partner across organizational lines in the selection, development and integration of business applications and related program elements.
· Adopts and executes technical and operational standards, processes and governance across a broad project portfolio.
· Bank of the West Compliance activities are part of BNPP’s International Retail Banking (IRB) business line reporting to BNPP Group Compliance and the Combined US Operations (CUSO) / Intermediary Holding Company (IHC) therefore developing, maintaining and continuously enhancing transparent working relationships with all internal and external partners is critical to the success of the candidate.
· A successful candidate must think and act strategically by demonstrating he/she is able to concurrently address operational matters germane not only to Bank of the West but also the IHC and BNPP Group Compliance/IRB. Periodically, this individual will need to coordinate between and among BancWest, BOW and First Hawaiian Banking (FHB) personnel across the Functions (both within and outside his/her span of control) and with other functions such as Legal and Risk Management to execute against a high range of time-sensitive deliverables.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer -
Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.