CBG Credit Products Offcr - TL
United States-California-Los Angeles
Business / Commercial Banking
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
This is a senior level underwriting position with management responsibilities acting as team leader in the supervision of other credit product officers, credit analyst and/or support staff reporting to the Division Credit Manager. As a seasoned leader, the incumbent will have exemplary underwriting skills, providing timely, consistent and well thought out credit decisions while taking personal responsibility for managing the credit needs of a portfolio of commercial banking relationships with the ability to break down a complex transaction, clearly and concisely explain and mitigate the key issues, identify alternative solutions, and recommend the best solution that meets both the customer's and bank's needs in a time sensitive manner.
As a credit approver, the incumbent will confidently exercise delegation authority while clearly articulating the reasoning behind the credit decision.
Works in partnership with banking product partners to analyze, structure, risk rate, document, recommend and/or approve credit exposures resulting from loans and other commercial banking products. Responsible for the on-going monitoring and risk management of an assigned portfolio of credits.
Essential Job Functions
1. Will provided ongoing coaching and support to other Credit Product Officers and train less-experienced credit staff.
2. Will drive efficiency in the credit process and proactively manage new business and existing customer deal flow within the credit team to assure efficiency in transaction processing time to approval.
3. Has authority to approve loans within delegated signing authority level; recommends to higher level of authority if appropriate and/or recommends loans for denial. Ensure all credit exposures are approved at the appropriate level and/or within assigned delegation. Will oversee credit and underwriting activities of other officers to ensure that current and potential customers are properly analyzed to minimize credit losses.
4. For complex customers, develop a well-informed and balanced view of the business, financial and competitive risks faced by a company, sector, and industry. Provide a well-researched and thoughtful risk assessment of each assigned client; in addition to developing alternative credit solutions to meet both bank and customer's need on an ongoing basis. Ensures development and preparation of well thought out and effective credit write-ups for presentation that complies to bank policies and ensures exceptions are properly reported.
5. Conducts projection spreads, analysis and summary, covenant analysis and commitment summary for new and existing customers.
6. Actively participates in customer meetings and assists in the determination of client needs. Will assist in negotiating loan documentation. Interacts with internal bank partners regarding credit analysis, risk, mitigants and developing innovative credit solutions to meet customer's credit needs.
7. Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect our current forward-looking view of the customer.
8. Capacity to proactively identify deteriorating credit solutions and manage the process through strong communication skills with both the client and internal business partners. Directly or through Credit Team, monitors, tracks and manages the credit portfolio with the goal of minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy while keeping the Division Credit Manager current on any credit issues that require attention.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Finance
- Years of functional/professional experience 10+ years of credit-related experience
- Years of supervisory or managerial experience 3+ years managing a credit function and staff preferred
Administrative/Technical Skills/ Other Information
- Proficient knowledge of financial services used by commercial customers.
- Proficient knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Proficient written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated experience in financial projection modeling.
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio management and quality control.
- Proficient knowledge and ability to run financial spreads, analyze financial statements, tax returns, and cash flow.
- Proficient working knowledge of other software used for analysis such as MFA and Tax Analysis.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to perform independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Good organizational skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.