Principle Audit Leader
United States-California-San Ramon
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
The Inspection Group, as the Bank’s periodic control function (i.e., third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The Senior Audit Manager, Treasury and Finance will support the ERM Audit Director and work closely with a wide range of bank’s officers, including the Chief Risk Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller, and Treasurer in addition to the General Auditor.
The Senior Audit Manager, Treasury and Finance will both supervise and perform audit assignment(s) that assess the strengths and weaknesses of treasury and finance related controls so that business objectives are met; risks are sufficiently mitigated; policies, procedures and standards are followed; and current and emerging regulatory expectations are met. Specific areas of treasury and finance coverage may include, but not be limited to, capital management, liquidity risk management, interest rate risk management, limited accounting/finance, regulatory reporting, and asset liability management.
This position is both an opportunity to leverage existing knowledge and experience and expand theoretical and practical knowledge and leadership skills.
•Develops a comprehensive program of risk-based audit coverage for the area(s) of responsibility. Able to effectively synthesize and reflect the impact of internal/external emerging risks to drive suitable audit coverage.
•Ensures performance of independent and objective evaluations of the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the bank's internal and governance controls in areas(s) of audit responsibility.
•Effectively and efficiently manages the most complex projects and execute audits which consists of planning, evaluating, investigating, reporting, reviewing, and supervising; annual audit planning, continuous monitoring and risk assessments over areas of assigned responsibility; and monitoring and verification of audit management's resolution of audit findings. Solid understanding and the strong managerial skills to run complex integrated audits with one or more other audit disciplines (e.g., Finance, Operations, ERM, IT, Compliance, Credit).
•Delivers high quality audit results and well-crafted audit report deliverables on time that are executive and Board ready and provide for impactful change to the Bank’s internal control system.
•Ensures that audit activities comply with Inspection Group standards. Leads by example to foster positive and meaningful change within the team and its practices.
•Communicate effectively, clearly, concisely, and accurately using written and verbal communications with all levels of management, including executive management.
•Manages, directs, mentors, trains and evaluates assigned staff.
•Maintains effective and professional relationships with bank senior management.
•Maintains effective and professional relationships with bank audit clients; managers and staff of the bank's public accountants; representatives of federal and state regulatory agencies; and others dealt with in a professional capacity.
•Maintains current on industry developments affecting areas of assigned responsibility.
•Work with team management to continually evolve and improve existing processes.
•Demonstrates strong technical understanding on organizational risk management (e.g., informational technology, operational, credit, market, regulatory compliance, etc.) for the bank.
•Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Required license(s) or certification(s) CPA, CIA, CBA, CFSA, CISA, CTA, CFE and/or CRCM
- Years of functional/professional experience: 10 to 15 years of directly related audit experience
- Years of supervisory or managerial experience: 7 to 10 years of supervisor/managerial experience
Field of Experience
For Bank Audit Activities
- Banking laws and regulations; region and branch banking operations; asset and liability management; treasury (including derivatives); financial reporting (including FDIC and state call reporting requirements, GAAP, and SEC requirements); budgeting; cost accounting (including transfer pricing and cost allocation); incentive programs; lending (including evaluation of loan loss reserve, syndication desk and other real estate owned); expenditures; deposits; PC and telephone banking (including FCC requirements); related systems; etc.
Market Risk Audit
- Monitors and identify risks of Capital Markets activities and Treasury ALM activities (with a specific focus on front desk trading and hedging activities) to develop risk assessments and support dynamic updates of the credit review plan.
- Monitors for changes in the Bank's interest rate or liquidity risk or the market risk of the investment portfolio due to management actions, market trends or regulatory developments.
- Reviews business reports for trends in key risk metrics (e.g. net interest income forecasts, repricing gap, liquidity gap, liquidity coverage ratio, changes in market value of investments) and the implications of key performance reports (e.g. profits from Capital Markets activities, actual net interest income, profits from Treasury derivatives, investment income).
- Independently analyzes and identifies portfolio risks e.g., valuation, interest rate, liquidity, and funding risks, as well as operational risks associated with Treasury and Capital Markets.
- Develops an audit plan and lead targeted audits of the areas of the Bank engaged in trading, capital markets activities and ALM.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.