What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for providing oversight and direction on modeling, analytics, and reporting related to BSA/OFAC compliance. Leads ongoing development of in-house analytical techniques (e.g., statistical modeling and data mining) as well as enhancements of vendor supported systems and promotion to deploy effective logics/algorithms in risk identification and mitigation. This includes analytics related to BSA/OFAC transaction monitoring (including tuning and optimization, implementation and monitoring), and risk detection and profiling processes. Supervises a professional staff and provides both strategic and operational direction in their assigned responsibilities, as well as in the design and execution of large/complex projects. Ensures a risk-based approach in identifying and completing projects using varied research/analytical/modeling techniques, automated systems and various sources of information. Ensures adequate support is provided on highly sensitive projects (e.g., regulatory exams, conducting BSA due diligence for bank acquisitions/mergers, the development or deployment of detective systems, etc.) The position is in Bank of the West Enterprise Risk Intelligence Group.
Essential Job Functions
1. Provides oversight and direction on modeling, analytics, risk and operational reporting, and systems support for BSA/OFAC compliance.
2. Promotes a robust analytical function for risk detection, profiling, and mitigation. This includes leveraging advanced analytical techniques (such as statistical modeling and data mining) and technology to improve risk detection and operational efficiency.
3. Oversees the analytics related to the tuning and optimization of transaction monitoring process, and develops and maintains an effective model governance program that meets regulatory requirements. This includes the administration of governance over all tuning and optimization of models and business rules used in BSA/OFA compliance.
4. Ensures timely and accurate MIS reporting for BSA/OFAC operations to Senior Management, Committees, and the Board.
5. Provides strategic technology direction and leadership to business partners and the IT department.
6. Ensures staff receives necessary training and developmental experience to obtain subject matter expertise in their area of BSA/OFAC compliance and in the application of analytical techniques and tools.
7. Serves as the point of contact for examinations and audits in all areas of responsibility.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics, Operational Research, Industrial Engineering or other quantitative field; PhD preferred
- Years of functional/professional experience: Minimum of seven years of experience in the fields of statistical analysis and quantitative model development
- Years of supervisory or managerial experience: Minimum of three years of supervisory or managerial experience.
- Alternative: Combination of education and experience (years /description) PhD with seven years directly related professional experience
Technical/Administrative Skills/ Other Information
- Substantial experience and expertise using statistics/statistical analysis and developing of advanced statistical models; general understanding of statistical sampling theory
- Considerable experience using SAS, R, MATLAB, or other statistical software
- Considerable experience working with large quantities of data, including data manipulation, data profiling, data visualization, and performing statistical analysis on data. Experience with SQL is a plus.
- A minimum of one year of experience performing quantitative BSA/AML analysis or validation
- Excellent interpersonal abilities including superior oral and written communication skills with significant experience writing technical documents for diverse audiences
- Demonstrated success in managing a small team
- BSA/AML, Banking, Regulatory or Consulting experience preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.